TechSpot

Google co-founders wanted Steve Jobs as their first CEO

By Emil
Nov 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin both wanted current Apple CEO Steve Jobs as the company's first CEO, according to a new 48-minute documentary posted on Bloomberg's Game Changers. The report tells viewers that the pair interviewed 12 or 13 candidates, but none of them made the cut. The duo then made the trip to visit Steve Jobs (he was a personal hero of theirs). After the meeting, they asked investor John Doerr whether they could hire him. Jobs had other plans.

Read the whole story

2. Flipcharm

Flipcharm TS Rookie

That would have been a killer combination, although Jobs is more more of a hardware-oriented kind of guy.
    But maybe in a parallel Universe Jobs runs Google and Schmidt runs Apple... :)

3. stensland

stensland TS Rookie Posts: 65

if Steve Jobs were the CEO we would all have to pay an arm and a leg just to use Google search. Not to mention they would axe out java, adobe, and hell why not macromedia on their browser... ffs

4. taea00

taea00 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102

This shakes my entire picture of Google. It'd be difficult to imagine an Google with Jobs at the helm. I'm not for closed systems, and Apple has become THE leader in locking their stuff down.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Looking back he's changed a bit. I'm not sure if its the 3rd world liver he's got in him or what, but most people become more positive after such an experience, not more evil.

6. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,094   +110

I would also leave Steve Jobs for Google anytime.
    And if you compare apple with google it would be like comparing a turtle and a fox; one safe behind it's homemade shield - you can only complain about it's restrictions; the other cunning and fast - you don't know if the free apple they are giving you has poison or not.

7. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Wow. Well said. I have a healthy distrust for both, and a strong disliking for Apple. It's scary how both of them have made me look at Microsoft as being a kindhearted company. Microsoft's goal is to make more money. Google and Apple have more sinister plans...

8. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 964   +49

hah... Apple missed out on Halo AND Google, talk about saying "thanks but no thanks" only to totally regret it later.

9. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 417   +40

And in an earlier meeting, it was revealed that both the Google guys said "yeah we want an arrogant jerk off who likes to dish the crap back to customers. That way, when we fudge something up bad (and we plan to), then he can easily defend us while we continue to look the other way but still make profits."

In all seriousness though, Google and Jobs seem quite opposite. Open source vs. closed source. What could go wrong???

10. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Jobs heading Google would definitely be a very different world than we have now. Most of Google's services would probably require a subscription or a purchase to use, all Google's support for open-source projects would be non-existent as Jobs made his push for closed-source, Google-controlled formats, and the 20% of Google employee time devoted to pursuing personal projects and R&D would almost certainly be focussed on increasing profits through more traditional means.

Steve Jobs' Google would likely be significantly more hardware focussed, more profit-oriented, and less friendly to the common consumer.

Personally, I'm glad Jobs doesn't control Google.

11. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

To be honest i doubt Android would be as good if Apple didnt bring out the iPhone, its the smartphone measuring stick.

12. fadownjoo

fadownjoo TS Rookie Posts: 64

wouldnt work out, jobs would use google and try to take over the world....but then again, iphones would be open source and have flash...hmm

13. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I bet Google would have moved into the hardware market a lot sooner, instead of focusing on its core advertising structure. And maybe everyone would be carrying around Google phones instead

14. brianmsu

brianmsu TS Rookie Posts: 27

or google phones would be closed source and wouldnt have flash?

google would have just been that much closer to world domination, instead they have just one more competitor in their way

15. buttus

buttus TS Enthusiast Posts: 187

Jobs is a competant CEO, however I doubt Google would be nearly as successful as they are now had he actually accepted the job.

Wanting Steve Jobs as your CEO is not the same thing as actually getting Steve Jobs as your CEO.

16. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 983   +89

Can you imagine an Apple Jobsian-based Google Search? All web search results would take you to iTunes. All image searches would return kittens. Google Earth would only show 1 Infinite Loop.

17. frodough

frodough TS Rookie Posts: 90

nothing says keep your enemies closer like this. i get you google, you want to keep jobs at bay so apple would run around like a chicken w/ its head cut off, very clever

18. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

I could only imagine the horrors associated with google with steve jobs at the head

19. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

Companies just tend to become opposite of what they are predicted just look at apple how it started its PC's & now how they are.Probably Eric Schmidt was the man to take google & not jobs.Just look at their styles both seem to be perfectly matched to their respective companies.

20. therickster90

therickster90 TS Rookie Posts: 25

Only one button! Everyone is feeling lucky!

21. kaonis92

kaonis92 TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

The world would be different today!

22. rizalp

rizalp TS Rookie Posts: 39

Well, i can see if Jobs is the CEO of Google: No flash on youtube, no java sollution on their App Engine, and talking about open standards like crazy.

23. jazboy

jazboy TS Rookie Posts: 112

They both have different approach as well as different thinking. I will say whatever happened it happed for good. Steve jobs is more hardware ordinated guy who wants to control everything on their piece / software / hardware. A example of these is Avoiding Adobe, not allowing us to change iphone battery, not letting us to unlock iPhone so use only apple's app, chip etc etc. But i think Eric's thinking is totally different which made huge contribute in Google's success. By making lot of apps, Google lab's product free of cost. Think if Steve would have been google's CEO then you would have paying monthly fees for Gmail, fees on every search.

More ever I don't think Google or Apple would have been this much successful if they would have their CEO vice versa. I will says its all in good hands.

24. xcelofjkl

xcelofjkl TS Rookie Posts: 86

Google: "Mr. Jobs, we would like you to be our first CEO."

Steve: "Hahaha, ya.. right."

Google: *straight face*

Steve: "Oh.."

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.