Google Glass teardown reveals $150 of hardware

Jesse

google shatter price glass widespread release

The folks at Catwig have done a complete teardown of Google Glass, and, as it turns out, the device is remarkably simple, or just generally unremarkable depending on your perspective.

The hardware inside isn’t anything unusual if you’re familiar with smartphones; what’s most interesting is the total cost of the device that Forbes came up with after comparing its hardware to other known devices: about $150-200.

Needless to say, it would be fairly outrageous for Google to sell the final product for the $1500 early-adopters paid. So what’s a reasonable price for Glass? Forbes guesses they'll hit the market between $299-500.

The initial $1500 price tag was intended to limit demand for the first wave of Glass, so that only those who were most excited about the product would buy it, Google chairman Eric Schmidt told the BBC in April. More realistically speaking, it limited accessibility to those who were excited and had a lot of spare cash.

Google took a metered approach to exposing the world to Glass, and wisely avoided some of the pitfalls that plague newly developed products and lead to failed launches. Now, many outside the tech world recognize Google Glass and the hype continues to grow, Google has had an opportunity to eliminate bugs, ensuring a polished experience for new users, and society has had time to assess and get comfortable (and uncomfortable) with this innovative technology.

But the question remains, will an average person actually be willing to walk around with a piece of hardware on their head? At $299, would you join the Glass-heads?

Permalink to story.

Could not care less as long as I get to make the Vegeta its over 9000 joke with them at least a few times. :p
You might be the right customer then, but google should sell it with another piece to wear, just to keep things clear...
WeDontCare.jpg

For 200-400 I'd want to check it out. It will be just another gadget... since it is a battery suck I don't think I would be using it that often. Probably in tandem with some IT activities.

I called it too. Well, not directly, but it's obvious that this is out-dated tech. I'm actually surprised at the $150 price point.

So what?s a reasonable price for Glass? Forbes guesses they'll hit the market between $299-500.
I never understand these stories... it's interesting to know what the cost of materials is in a gadget, but it really has nothing to do with the cost of the final product. Look at how they price video cards, Nvidia jacks up the price on their latest and greatest until AMD can answer and provide some competition. Company's charge what they think people will be willing to spend and still make a nice profit.

I'd guess since there's nothing else like this Google will probably charge plenty. I'd guess $500 at least.

3 month ago I predicted this kind of cost here...

Talk about Apple's premium prices, Google leaves that in shame, asking for 10-fold worth of the components...

Though you also have to consider the researching cost to invent this kind of technology, sometimes that's in the range of hundreds of millions. I'm not sure in Google glass's case, but it's not only the hardware price.
Sure when the technology is a little more routine and other competitors are offering this kind of thing aswell the price will drop to it's real hardware cost + profit percentage :)

It's all fine, just like an 84" OLED panel that costs 2K in components and sells for 40K in a shop. In just the same sentiment, I couldn't care less about those products, whatever the R'nD cost, is purely greed.

And where it comes to Google, they should have made a list of trusted experts and provide them with the Glass for free.

would you join the Glass-heads?

The term is Glass-holes.

And I think they will become mainstream almost the same way tablets (supply even without demand). The limiting factor right now is the practicality. It will just take a few new ideas on what to do with the device and soon the world won't know how we survived without Glass, much like cell-phones.

The hardest part is going to be for those of us who don't wear glasses all the time.

It's all fine, just like an 84" OLED panel that costs 2K in components and sells for 40K in a shop. In just the same sentiment, I couldn't care less about those products, whatever the R'nD cost, is purely greed.

And where it comes to Google, they should have made a list of trusted experts and provide them with the Glass for free.

Sure it's also greed, but it works because there are no competitors yet.

Sure it's also greed, but it works because there are no competitors yet.

Yes, it works, somewhere, in a multi-million mansion, not in houses of people who read and write on Techspot. And after looking at products like one from Seiki, I think there is some competition after all, but big manufacturers just don't care about them yet.

But hell, I say, let's just make millions and go spend it on a big-a$$ TV, what else life is for...

This thing is going to be looked at by the public the same way you look at a loud, annoying person, walking in the mall talking to themselves on a hands free Bluetooth earpiece.

Awkward and somewhat a joke. And no one will want to be around you, if you are using it.

Back