TechSpot

Google introduces license-filtering image search

By Justin
Jul 9, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One of the most complicated and convoluted issues plaguing the Internet these days are copyright concerns. From music and videos to books, pictures and more, all content is likely to have some artist behind it who may or may not be willing to share. Unfortunately, it\'s not always easy to determine if something is legal to use on your own. Google understands this, and as of today has launched a new feature aimed at making finding completely free content a bit easier.

Read the whole story
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Wonder how they can afford to do that... sounds like an investment of thousands of hours to get to the point where they can make money on it?
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,346   +396

Ya gotta give Google props - like their products or not, they are on the cutting edge and the driving force of many different apps. Seems like everyone else is either playing catch-up or copy-cat to them.
  4. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,075   +76

I would like to see an image recognition search (upload an image and have it search for it online) to see if any of my copyrighted images are being used without my permission. THAT would be a neat technology.
  5. Deathstar17

Deathstar17 TS Rookie Posts: 34

Wow this is pretty genius on the part of Google. I'm impressed at least.
  6. noname

noname TS Rookie

http://tineye.com/ does that :)
  7. How do you think that software would handle widely photographed locations?
    Vacation in NYC (can't post pictures of new york skyline, already copyrighted by someone else)
    Vacation in LA (can't post pictures of monuments - Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

The list goes on.
  8. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

That TinEye link is interesting - a reverse image search service. I wonder how accurately it can distinguish between, say, JimBob Photog's digitally enhanced, copyrighted image of a cityscape and your Aunt Maud's point-and-shoot pic of the same scene. From this TS item, it seems Google's filter would ignore both pics unless it finds a Creative Commons or similar license specifically attached. That's pretty limiting but I can see how it could grow in usefulness over time, especially for companies worried about inadvertent copyright violation.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.