Google is warning Edge users of security risks, suggests switching browsers

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Chrome still dominates the browser market, and it looks like Google will do anything to keep it that way, including showing a security warning to users of Microsoft’s Edge browser when they access the Chrome Web Store.

Edge has long lived in the shadow of Chrome, but Microsoft last year decided to rebuild its browser with the same Chromium platform used by Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, and more. One of the benefits of this is that Edge is compatible with extensions designed for Chrome.

According to NetMarketShare, Chrome has a 67 percent share of the browser market, while Edge has just under 6 percent. Those figures would suggest Chrome has little to worry about from Edge, but it’s still trying to lure users away from Microsoft’s product.

As spotted by Windows Latest, whenever someone accesses the Chrome Web Store using Edge, they’re met with a message that reads: “Google recommends switching to Chrome to use extensions securely.” It’s noted that the message doesn’t appear when using other Chromium-based browsers.

Image credit: Windows Latest

The warning doesn’t prevent Edge users from safely installing and running Chrome extensions, but it could convince some people to switch to team Google as a way of ‘improving security,’ even though both browsers use Chromium.

This sort of behavior isn’t new. Google has shown similar warnings to Edge users who access its services in the past. Last year, the tech giant said it’s not blocking Edge, but won't be whitelisting it until the browser comes out of beta. It’s now out of beta, though the warnings are still appearing.

Microsoft isn’t innocent when it comes to these sort of tactics, either. The company makes Edge the default browser in Windows and tries to dissuade users when they search for and install Chrome.

Permalink to story.

Can you prove that what they are saying isn’t true? That there isn’t some kind of extra security/verification surrounding extensions in chrome vs Edge? If you can then go ahead. If you can’t, then it’s entirely possible that the warning is based in legitimacy. I’m sure the wording could be debated/improved, but you don’t get to paint it as underhanded unless you can prove it. Alas I cannot prove it myself one way or the other, but then I’m not the one writing an article making claims.

I'm using the new MS Edge. I like it a lot. Security flaws can be fixed so whatever. They all play those games...

Its been a while since Google tactics have been "based in legitimacy".
Besides. It's not up to me, you or Microsoft to prove anything. Its up to Google and they don't list any specifics. The reason for that is if they did and it wasn't true they could get their asses sued off.

False innuendo is king in the tech industry and Fox News.

Myself, I had my tipping point with the medical records thing last year.
Since then I ditched Chrome for Firefox, Gmail for Hotmail\Outlook, and I bought my first ever iPhone.

I wish I had done all 3 a lot sooner.

Lol... they are virtually the same browser nowadays!

It’s really not that hard to have multiple browsers installed on your PC... I use Chrome for the stuff I need it for... and Firefox for anything else...
Edge sits idle except for the occasional site from my school board which inexplicable requires it...

I'm using the new version and I like it a lot. Its password management is above and beyond the old version's and I'm not concerned about these 'security risks'.

Google and Microsoft have browsers? I wondered who hired away the 'free Firefox' developers.

Both based on Chromium which is a free to use license and everyone can contribute to it, if the New Edge is a security risk then there is a high chance that Google Chrome too. Both built from the same codebase...
Unless Google left vulnerabilities in Chromium which they haven't disclosed, but fixed in Chrome, nah I'm just too paranoid (you can't be too paranoid these days). hehe

Google and Microsoft have browsers? I wondered who hired away the 'free Firefox' developers.

Mozilla ran them all off by itself.

Its been a while since Google tactics have been "based in legitimacy".
Besides. It's not up to me, you or Microsoft to prove anything. Its up to Google and they don't list any specifics. The reason for that is if they did and it wasn't true they could get their asses sued off.

False innuendo is king in the tech industry and Fox News.

Myself, I had my tipping point with the medical records thing last year.
Since then I ditched Chrome for Firefox, Gmail for Hotmail\Outlook, and I bought my first ever iPhone.

I wish I had done all 3 a lot sooner.

1582221200384.png

Last edited:

It’s really not that hard to have multiple browsers installed on your PC... I use Chrome for the stuff I need it for... and Firefox for anything else...
Edge sits idle except for the occasional site from my school board which inexplicable requires it...

I mostly use edge as my main browser and google chrome to play krunker or to use blur busters since edge doesnt support 144hz

And I might install the new edge browser since im going to try davinci resolve (it needs 16gb ram minimum) and I dont want my browser to eat up all my memory while im looking for a green screen or sound effects

Can you prove that what they are saying isn’t true? That there isn’t some kind of extra security/verification surrounding extensions in chrome vs Edge? If you can then go ahead. If you can’t, then it’s entirely possible that the warning is based in legitimacy. I’m sure the wording could be debated/improved, but you don’t get to paint it as underhanded unless you can prove it. Alas I cannot prove it myself one way or the other, but then I’m not the one writing an article making claims.
I do find it unusual that Edge is apparently the only browser getting this warning.

Does make me wonder if there could be some truth to the warning.

Both based on Chromium which is a free to use license and everyone can contribute to it, if the New Edge is a security risk then there is a high chance that Google Chrome too. Both built from the same codebase...
Unless Google left vulnerabilities in Chromium which they haven't disclosed, but fixed in Chrome, nah I'm just too paranoid (you can't be too paranoid these days). hehe
I was thinking the same thing - that if there is a problem in Edge, cough cough, there is a probability that it is also in Chromium.
I do find it unusual that Edge is apparently the only browser getting this warning.

Does make me wonder if there could be some truth to the warning.
Label me paranoid, but maybe gagme is concealing problems in chromium? Nah, they would never do that.?

Personally, I have used Waterfox for many years. Switching to either Edge or Chrome would feel like I have joined the dark side. :cold_sweat:

The thing is, even if we assume their claim is correct you have the same company that is making a "security recommendation" also recommending it's own product.

If Google were just interested in warning users of security issues, it could have left out recommending it's own products entirely. The fact that it does recommend users switch and specifically to their own products cast some serious doubt on whether they are legitimately trying to help people or if they are just using scare tactics to push people onto their own browser.

The thing is, even if we assume their claim is correct you have the same company that is making a "security recommendation" also recommending it's own product.

If Google were just interested in warning users of security issues, it could have left out recommending it's own products entirely. The fact that it does recommend users switch and specifically to their own products cast some serious doubt on whether they are legitimately trying to help people or if they are just using scare tactics to push people onto their own browser.
Yeh for sure. I agree the way they phrase it is very self serving and non-explanatory, even if it were true. I just dislike defamation articles which don’t back up their claims, or least have the honesty to say they don’t know for sure. “It might not be shady at all, but it does look suspicious” for example. Just good click bait/speculation I guess

I even keep Opera around as a back-up back-up.

I’ve been using Mozilla browsers exclusively ever since the Mozilla Application Suite was the best alternative to IE6. In general I try to avoid using MS or Google software on my own machines wherever possible.

Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? If any country was run by your thought process it would end up like the Salem witch trials. Google provides no evidence of edge being less secure or chrome being more secure making their claim a baseless accusation. The article even states that both are based on Google's open based Chromium which is entirely true and therefore would make them equally secure. It is not uncommon for competitors to make baseless claims, Microsoft made similar claims with their old edge browser whenever you would try and install Chrome.

Slimy on googles part. I use the new chrome based edge, and its fantastic.the fastest browser hands down, even faster than Iron.

If that's even possible today under the enormous scrutiny of the watchdog community!

Slimy on googles part. I use the new chrome based edge, and its fantastic.the fastest browser hands down, even faster than Iron.
I find these "faster browser" claims amusing. I block 1.8 billion web addresses as untrusted. This includes cloudflare, amazon, akamai, basically everything especially including the chinese servers and european servers and african servers. A click to an address generally gives me the web page text instantly on FF. The pages don't have formatting or external fonts or graphics or anything but text, but it is instant. On the occasion of a page giving no text but server not found, unblocking the original IP temporarily gives me the text on the page. The skittles and scripts each site provides are largely useless for information transfer to me. When images are required, the next IP usually works with still getting instant response. Except for pages hosted on Google, I've never seen a google linked web page not work with all the google ip's blocked.

I played with the wife's system. She uses Edge and FF (at my insistence for debugging probs) and Chrome and IE. If I block the cloud servers and only let the system connect to the web site address as published on ipadress.com, it's all dead slow while the scripts go through their malevolence tracking and displaying.

You should try this also, next time you're measuring browser 'lightning' speeds. Don't let the caching schemes be your measurement criteria for display. Measure the connection to the site alone.

I find these "faster browser" claims amusing. I block 1.8 billion web addresses as untrusted. This includes cloudflare, amazon, akamai, basically everything especially including the chinese servers and european servers and african servers. A click to an address generally gives me the web page text instantly on FF. The pages don't have formatting or external fonts or graphics or anything but text, but it is instant. On the occasion of a page giving no text but server not found, unblocking the original IP temporarily gives me the text on the page. The skittles and scripts each site provides are largely useless for information transfer to me. When images are required, the next IP usually works with still getting instant response. Except for pages hosted on Google, I've never seen a google linked web page not work with all the google ip's blocked.

I played with the wife's system. She uses Edge and FF (at my insistence for debugging probs) and Chrome and IE. If I block the cloud servers and only let the system connect to the web site address as published on ipadress.com, it's all dead slow while the scripts go through their malevolence tracking and displaying.

You should try this also, next time you're measuring browser 'lightning' speeds. Don't let the caching schemes be your measurement criteria for display. Measure the connection to the site alone.
Except, other than you, no one browses the internet this way... so knowing which browser is faster IS relevant for everyone else.

Few weeks ago chrome was a default browser for me. I was stuck in a mode of opening the same thing. I began thinking chrome has been adding more and more issues for me doing my job. 1. It was not saving bookmarks, 2. The version updated and caused me to not access sites. 3. When I download anything it will ask me to update chrome (when chrome is on the newest version). I was getting frustrated, started using edge and would you know, edge was work too! I have been moving my info to edge and deleting chrome. No need to be convince google is the only option. Let's get EDGE more then 6% percent!!!

Back