Google now activating 500,000 Android devices daily

Emil

Staff

Andy Rubin, Android's co-founder and now vice president of engineering at Google, has revealed a new milestone for the mobile operating system: half a million devices activated daily. "There are now over 500,000 Android devices activated every day, and it's growing at 4.4% w/w," Rubin wrote in a message on his Twitter account.

That's over 3.5 million devices every week and over 105 million devices every month. Last month, the daily number was 400,000. In December 2010, it was 300,000. In August 2010, activations passed the 200,000 per day mark. As you can see, the milestone updates are coming in more frequently. 

It's thus worth looking at Rubin's second statistic. A growth of 4.4 percent week over week means we'll see 600,000 daily Android activations by next month. At this rate, it also means we'll see 1 million Android activations daily Android activations before the end of the year (if the growth does not change, which of course it will, the milestone will occur in October 2011).

The devil is in the details though: previously Google was saying the number was phones activated each day, while now it is saying Android devices. This means tablets and other hardware running Android is being counted now. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's an important thing to remember.

In October 2010, Apple CEO Steve Jobs talked about Android and iOS activations during his company's quarterly earnings conference call. At the time, Google had said it was activating 200,000 Android devices per day, while Jobs revealed that Apple was activating 275,000 iOS devices each day.

In sheer activation numbers, Google is now very likely beating Apple and its iOS platform, which includes iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches. We're curious if Apple will bother share its latest activation statistic at its next event.

Permalink to story.

Hummm Come September...moving from blackberry to ??? Use to think Android but they seem to be all scattered.....might go new Iphone...I hate Apple.....But I went the best APP support and it looks like Iphone is where it's at....Ugggjhhhh...damn Google...wth

Guest said:
Hummm Come September...moving from blackberry to ??? Use to think Android but they seem to be all scattered.....might go new Iphone...I hate Apple.....But I went the best APP support and it looks like Iphone is where it's at....Ugggjhhhh...damn Google...wth

Lol. So you care about app support yet you own a blackberry?

Guest said:

Typical Guest ^^

Emil you love making assumptions: "Google is now clearly beating Apple and its iOS platform", how is it clear when no one knows now many iOS devices are currently being activated.

Actually the latest data comparing iOS with Android phones showed that the availability of the iPhone on Verizon actually stagnated Android's growth in the US.

Android for sure will sell more devices globally than Apple but there are a lot of really crappy devices, specially tablets, being sold with the Android platform. Last week a friend of mine showed me the crappiest chinese tablet I've seen and it was running Android, I'm pretty sure they also count those embarrassing devices as activations.

marioestrada said:
Emil you love making assumptions: "Google is now clearly beating Apple and its iOS platform", how is it clear when no one knows now many iOS devices are currently being activated.

Actually the latest data comparing iOS with Android phones showed that the availability of the iPhone on Verizon actually stagnated Android's growth in the US.

Android for sure will sell more devices globally than Apple but there are a lot of really crappy devices, specially tablets, being sold with the Android platform. Last week a friend of mine showed me the crappiest chinese tablet I've seen and it was running Android, I'm pretty sure they also count those embarrassing devices as activations.

Only if they have market access. And most of those cheap Chinese ones don't.

Oh and those nice figures that showed the verizon iphone slowing android growth were proven false.

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/new...share-away-from-android-according-to-one-guy/

Also that's a nice little **** up you have there relating to who is doing better.

how is it clear when no one knows now many iOS devices are currently being activated.

So nobody knows but somehow there is data to show who is doing better. Self contradiction much. Hell the article even states how many iOS devices were being activated at one time because Jobs reveals it during conference calls. You can prance around all you like acting like Apple is winning the smartphone war but the numbers(not your numbers, the actual numbers) show they aren't.

It's obvious Android has hit a brick wall..Better come up with something quick there Google.

I'm glad that the success of a product I don't own does not lessen my enjoyment of the one I do.

Good for them.

@Princeton there's data about phones because they are mostly sold through carriers, there's no contradiction just data published and good old common sense.

And the article you shared is also just a counterpoint from one guy who actually ends his thought with an open question about the veracity of the reports. If you prove something is false you conclude with actual facts not an open question about user opinions.

By the way there are no smartphone wars, Apple is very doing great by themselves and they have a great line of products, they earned almost 3 times the revenue of Google last year and have a market cap that doubles Google's. And that is by developing products people actually want to pay for and not by putting crappy advertising all over your face and invading privacy.

My initial complaint was with assuming "Google is beating Apple" without actual data to compare both. And even if that data would be available it would be safe to assume Apple and Google are very close and that is great, but that's not the only thing that makes a platform more successful than other, as I previously stated a healthy software platform, quality products and happy customers should also be taken into account. And out of that 500,000 devices being activated I would bet a good portion is of those crappy chinese/generic tablets and phones being sold globally and if that means Google is beating Apple well good for them at playing the market share game.

marioestrada said:
@Princeton there's data about phones because they are mostly sold through carriers, there's no contradiction just data published and good old common sense.

And the article you shared is also just a counterpoint from one guy who actually ends his thought with an open question about the veracity of the reports. If you prove something is false you conclude with actual facts not an open question about user opinions.

By the way there are no smartphone wars, Apple is very doing great by themselves and they have a great line of products, they earned almost 3 times the revenue of Google last year and have a market cap that doubles Google's. And that is by developing products people actually want to pay for and not by putting crappy advertising all over your face and invading privacy.

My initial complaint was with assuming "Google is beating Apple" without actual data to compare both. And even if that data would be available it would be safe to assume Apple and Google are very close and that is great, but that's not the only thing that makes a platform more successful than other, as I previously stated a healthy software platform, quality products and happy customers should also be taken into account. And out of that 500,000 devices being activated I would bet a good portion is of those crappy chinese/generic tablets and phones being sold globally and if that means Google is beating Apple well good for them at playing the market share game.

There's so many wrong points with your argument, I'm afraid I won't have enough time to list them all... Hell, who am I kidding? You bet I'll list them all.

marioestrada said:

You conclude Emil's conclusion is erroneous because, as you stated, there’s nobody that knows how many actual iOS devices are being activated. But now you say:

marioestrada said:
“there's data about phones because they are mostly sold through carriers, there's no contradiction just data published and good old common sense.”

So there is data, and therefore, people know. That’s not only contradictory with your previous statement, but it also contradicts with the “common sense” part of your second—equally contradictory—statement that says such data is known by good old common sense. Well, good old common sense in the first place tells me that to make figure comparison, both sources’ data has to be known... In other words, you contradicted yourself after contradicting yourself. That's cute.

Also, did you know that phones sold through carriers count as activations? You can NOT go in to a Verizon or AT&T store and purchase an iPhone (or any phone for that matter) without having service activated. You do know that, right?

marioestrada said:

It’s clearly apparent you didn’t even read the article. Go figure. You seem to be attacking the way the author ended or constructed the article. But what you seemed to not read was this part:

“On the other hand, Wolf says Android lost 3.4% of market share, dropping from 52.9% to 49.5%. Again, that’s not what everybody else is saying. So, where’s Wolf getting this data? According to the CNNMoney article, he’s using IDC information to come up with his crazy statistics. The funny thing is, <b>IDC’s last report says the complete opposite of what Wolf is saying.</b>”

The author ended the article with a question to ask his readers to weigh in and debate. He had already proven the lack of veracity in Wolf’s predictions.

marioestrada said:

There is no smartphone war? That right there made you lose the little credibility you had. You’re implying Apple is doing so, but so well, there’s no need for them to compete? Give me a break. And what’s with bringing up Apple’s earnings? Are those numbers a cause of their mobile presence? Of course not. Apple is a software and hardware designer, they not only sell the iPhone, they also own a wide arrange of products, services, and personal computers that make it a very, very profitable company. You cannot possibly compare Apple to Google who simply owns and develops software/web services. The comparison of both just sounds like a desperate attempt at an argument. But nice try though.

marioestrada said:

Well, "Google is beating Apple”, is a fact, and not an opinion or an assumption. And what’s that “as I previously stated” you say? Please, show me what you previously stated, because I can't find it on this or last comment. You see, now you’re changing your argument saying that if even said data was available (which it is), you wouldn’t consider Google as the winner, because, to you, other factors should be accountable. Well, that’s to you. To everybody else here, whoever has sold/activated the most devices is the most successful, or, for context: the winner. Arguing about what makes a company itself “better” in an article that’s discussing sale/activations and market share, seems like an extremely petty attempt to make an argument, especially when such argument wasn’t even your original argument to begin with.

Lastly, in case you forgot, Android is an open source operating system. Acting like those “generic” tablets with Android is something Google has to something do with, is very simplistic of yours. Google does not manufacture hardware, nor does it design it. Google simply provides the software. Had iOS been open source, the same would happen. Alternatively, all of the tablets that are accountable in these figures, are the ones actually activated, not sold. That is because, unlike phones, you don't need to activate a tablet with a carrier when you purchase one, as all of them are WiFi capable. So if you want to get into an ethics debate as to why Chinese manufacturers produce and install Android on their “shitty” devices, be my guest and do it wherever that’s actually the subject.

Well Lawfer that's pretty much everything that could possibly be said. Bloody amazing post right there.

+10 internets.

JudaZ said:
just an observation ... why is the symbol for Android a robot, and not an android?

Because calling the OS robot would be stupid and having the mascot being a robot that looks like a human would be dumb because you'd just think the mascot was a human, which isn't clever nor memorable.

Also the Android logo was designed along with the Droid font family made by Ascender Corporation.

I wish my bank only counted deposits too...I guess Microsoft is smiling too as they will get some piece of that pie.

@lawfer you actually can buy an iPhone without being activated. And by the way there's no data published by no carrier other than by Apple itself and the latest was published on October 2010, where's any updated data, but analysis from market researchers actually found that the iPhone on Verizon did slow Android sales. And stating "Google is beating Apple" as a fact when there's no factual data is a bit misleading. [Thankfully the story has been updated]

Google does design hardware, they don't manufacture though.

"As I previously stated" was my mistake, on my first post I originally wrote about it but forgot I deleted that paragraph and posted the message without it. My bad.

Apple finances matter because they have more than doubled since the release of the iPhone and iOS devices, still going up, and as a result Apple is the currently the most valued technology company and I believe 2nd in the world in general. So if that's being beaten, then great.

The smartphone wars is a media thing, do you think Apple is jealous of MS because they have a 90% market share on PCs or do you think Apple is happy about having a healthy OS and software environment, great product sales, great revenue and highest quality products. Of course Apple or MS or Google would love more market share anywhere or everywhere, but that's not all of it.

I don't care who has a bigger market share, I just don't like seeing that kind of unnecessary fanboy-like remarks on a serious article. It's not the first time Emil does it and I'm sure won't be the last, I have no problem with it or him, I just think it's unnecessary and a bit childish calling out on Apple on an unrelated article. He's a great writer, we just have different opinions.

I would just like a neutral stance on every TS article since I do work for the site :).

"I would just like a neutral stance on every TS article since I do work for the site"

If you work for the Site then I would expect that same level of professionalism from yourself in your posts, but looking through your post history you are obviously biased towards apple products and can not hold yourself to that.

As for Emil being a great writer, that's very open to debate. He definitely doesn't hold himself to the same standards that Matthew and Jose do. Here's an example of one of his many amazing and helpful comments

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4345/dwm2011022023515274.jpg

Definitely a shining example of great posting. As for his articles I find that they more frequently have errors pointed out than other articles. Although I have not seen so recently and I believe this has been improved. I haven't seen ANY recent errors in any articles on the site(perhaps a new unknown editor?) However I do remember a large mistake that wasn't fixed.

https://www.techspot.com/news/41075-htc-compares-windows-phone-7-to-aol.html

When looking at his statement in context, MacKenzie clearly meant to make a favorable comparison. When asked about what Windows Phone 7 did better than Android, he didn't draw a blank. "I would say that for right now, a customer interested in gaming," MacKenzie replied.

Writing at its finest folks.

Princeton said:
"I would just like a neutral stance on every TS article since I do work for the site"

If you work for the Site then I would expect that same level of professionalism from yourself in your posts, but looking through your post history you are obviously biased towards apple products and can not hold yourself to that.

I don't see Jose, Matthew, Emil or any other writer on this site really posting more than occasional very neutral comments, and certainly never ones attacking another writer. Such matters should be handed privately between the staff.

Mario,

you're very far from neutral in your posts, and while you do offer interesting insight in some cases, you're more likely to engage in what can be politely described as Kool-Aid fueled fanboyism.

I'm sure you've gathered by now that most of the regular members of this site are Windows and Android users. A lot of your comments approach, if not are, those of a troll. Every time something negative is posted about Apple, or even something which praises it's direct competition, you're sure to pop up first being an Apple apologist, usually straining the definition of credibility and logic, but then you invariably move on to insult whatever the competition is, usually again making specious arguments that serve nothing more to irritate people around here.

So if you're going to keep playing the "I work here" card, you really should tone down the trolling, and take a look at the posting history of the rest of the people who work at this site, and compare and contrast the tone and content of their posts and yours.

If you want to continue posting as you do, that's fine, as long as you realize that most of the people here don't share your opinion, and will be very vocal in their rebuttals, and you will probably no longer receive any respect that is usually due to site staff. So next time you get "lawfered" you don't need to remind us you work here.

Back