TechSpot

Google releases stable version of Chrome 7

By Jos
Oct 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Keeping up with its promise to accelerate the release cycle for Chrome and push out a new stable build every six weeks, Google has released version 7 of its browser. The update brings dozens of bug fixes as well as several features that have been available to beta and developers build users for several months. That includes an updated HTML5 parser, support for directory upload and an HTML5 File API, which allows for web-based content to read files stored locally on a user's system, full AppleScript support for Mac OS X UI automation, and new options for managing cookies.

Read the whole story

2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 882   +131

There's now a Chrome icon on the bottom left of the "New Tab" page... kinda random lol.
    Regardless, it's always good to have security fixes :D

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Two words:

Firefox. 4.

(Yes, numbers are counted as words.)

4. Three words;

IE8

(yes, capital letters count as words)

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Hmm, I don't know if this is a troll move or simply an incredulous comment, and it's because of two things. #1 being the fact that capital letters are NOT words (well, the name LETTERS is pretty specific). Or #2, the fact you used IE as the browser of choice for your comment.

Hmm, decisions, decisions...

6. when will they release a 64 bit Chrome ????

7. 64bit chrome y?

8. yeah ... can't read your fricking captcha ... ease up a bit eh?

9. CanĀ“t see Flash movies with this update. :(

10. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,693   +86

Chrome is the fastest, although I keep Firefox around for certain stuff. But i use Chrome 99.9% and 00.1% is Firefox. IE2,3,4,5,6,7 and now 8 Microsoft really needs to rebuild the browser code. But hey IE always the best standby in all it's integrated into the OS and gets pushed onto the system with every Windows 7 update! :)

11. 64-bit Chrome was released a long time ago but not for Windows users (too bad for you guys).

Also I'm sorry but Firefox 4 is/will be worse than Chrome. There's just no question about it. It still doesn't even pass the Acid 3 test and based on my benchmarks it's JavaScript engine ("TraceMonkey" was it?) is about twice slower than Chrome's V8.

But please note that I'm not saying Firefox is a bad browser. I'm just saying Chrome is not worse.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.