Google said to be testing smart thermostats as part of 'EnergySense' program

By Shawn Knight
Dec 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Google is reportedly in the process of testing multiple Internet-connected thermostats. Much like the popular unit from Nest, the goal is to help users control power use and make the grid more efficient in general according to two people briefed...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Well if Google manages to get in on the act there could be renewed interest in these things and possibly run roughshod over the opposition at the same time.
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Powered by Linux/Android. You have LUX and Honeywell and few others in this game. LUX TX9000TS or TX9600TS Smart Thermostat might not have WiFi Internet Temp for outside to regulate indoor temp controls. Still if your house is 80 F and outside is 75 F and you set your temp for cooling to 77 F then the unit will cool the house down to 77 F. Why would you want it to go to 75 F thus in my testing setting it pass 77 F cost me additional $30 bucks a month. My Central AC/Heat unit is only 2.6 years old. Hardly use the heat blower feature. AC all year around.

Now that Google was to push these in homes so are they going to push ads in their software too to run the temps in the house.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

If they plan on using home appliances for advertising, they had better start giving the appliances for free. Otherwise I won't pay for the appliance.