Google said to be testing smart thermostats as part of 'EnergySense' program

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google energysense thermostat smart thermostat

Google is reportedly in the process of testing multiple Internet-connected thermostats. Much like the popular unit from Nest, the goal is to help users control power use and make the grid more efficient in general according to two people briefed on the matter as reported by The Information.

The program is known as EnergySense and is currently being tested by “trusted testers” in the St. Louis, Missouri area and perhaps elsewhere, according to documentation seen by the publication. Google will ultimately partner with other companies to help manufacture their thermostat, we’re told, although it’s unclear if the device would be geared toward the average consumer.

This isn’t the first time the search giant has dabbled in the home energy sector. If you recall, Google operated a program several years back known as PowerMeter designed to raise awareness about the importance of giving people access to data related to their energy use. The program eventually shuttered in September of 2011 because it didn’t scale as quickly as they hoped it would.

Two years is a long time in the tech world and since then, we’ve seen a surge in awareness of energy usage in the home as well as devices to help manage and reduce usage. In addition to the aforementioned Nest thermostat, other companies like Ecobee and Honeywell have released connected devices in recent memory.

No word yet on when we can expect to hear anything official from Google, unfortunately.

Permalink to story.

Well if Google manages to get in on the act there could be renewed interest in these things and possibly run roughshod over the opposition at the same time.

Powered by Linux/Android. You have LUX and Honeywell and few others in this game. LUX TX9000TS or TX9600TS Smart Thermostat might not have WiFi Internet Temp for outside to regulate indoor temp controls. Still if your house is 80 F and outside is 75 F and you set your temp for cooling to 77 F then the unit will cool the house down to 77 F. Why would you want it to go to 75 F thus in my testing setting it pass 77 F cost me additional $30 bucks a month. My Central AC/Heat unit is only 2.6 years old. Hardly use the heat blower feature. AC all year around.

Now that Google was to push these in homes so are they going to push ads in their software too to run the temps in the house.

Now that Google was to push these in homes so are they going to push ads in their software too to run the temps in the house.
If they plan on using home appliances for advertising, they had better start giving the appliances for free. Otherwise I won't pay for the appliance.

Back