Google search keeps being redirected

By JohnScully
Feb 14, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello. I have been having problems with my Google search being redirected to add sites. I came accross this board and was able to follow along with your preliminary removal instructions for the initial phase of removal. Since running everything it seems that the search function is back to normal but you will know better than I. So I've attached all the logs you requested. Can you please help?
  2. JohnScully

JohnScully Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I take that back....I still have the problem intermittenly. I'm also having OpenGL errors in my video software that was not there before.
  3. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

You say that it does actually run? correct? (can't see how :confused: )

Startup HijackThis scan again, and tick all these entry boxes
    Then close any Internet browsers (Internet Explorer or Firefox etc) and select FIX to all of them

Then go to Control Panel => Add\Remove Programs. And uninstall:
    Restart

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
    You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

Then restart

Then provide a New HJT log as an attachment
    Oh and let me know if it runs a tad better ;)
  4. JohnScully

Hi kimsland, I did exactly what you requested. While running the scan the first time with Malawarebyte Anti-Malware the program Avira keep picking up trojans (but Malawaree didn't) and I deleted everything as it went along. When I ran the Malawarebytes program again and again none of them showed any trojans or malware. I then went ahead and tried some Google searches. The first couple of times in "Firefox" I was redirected again...but then it stopped and has not happened since. In Internet Explorer I had no problems. Attached is the HiJack log for you to view. I'm still having OpenGL problems in my video software however. This is a brand new video card (1 week old). Thanks for your help.
  5. kimsland

Please startup HJT scan again and place a tick next to the following entries
    Close all Internet browsers before selecting FIX
    Download Combofix
    Lots of info on its use h e r e
    Direct download h e r e

Locate the downloaded Combofix. Double click on it to run, answering any prompts along the way
    Note: during Combofix scan (lasting up to 10mins) your Desktop and clock may reset (all normal)
    ComboFix will also restart your computer (eventually) and then (eventually) create a log

Save this log file to be attached to a new reply
  6. JohnScully

Here you go.

By the way the performance is better. No more noticable incidents with OpenGL and my browser.
  7. kimsland

Please download and run SDFix (I'm sorry, but I must refer you to t h i s tutorial on its use, scroll down to "SDFix Instructions")

Download, and run the "RunThis.bat" in Safe Mode, as advised
    Then attach the log and a new HJT log
    Oh by the way, it says that it may take 20mins to scan! (Mine took over an hour to complete!)
  8. JohnScully

Ok. Here you go.
  9. JohnScully

Am I good?

If so I just want to thank you for all the help you've given.
  10. kimsland

Not with Limewire installed (file sharing program)
    And DAEMON Tools tends to fault a lot too
  11. JohnScully

Ok I'll uninstall both. Are you saying they slow down my PC?

12. JohnScully

I did a Google search today and on the very first try I got sent to an add page. But after that it was ok. This happened in Firefox but no more on Internet Explorer. Do you think there is some sort of hidden script in Firefox that was overlooked? What should I do next?
  13. kimsland

I think you should run Combofix and Malwarebytes (updated first) again
    Then provide the logs
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.