Google to give staff 10% raise and $1,000 holiday bonus

Emil

Staff

Everyone knows Google is a great place to work, but lately the company has been losing employees to smaller companies that are growing faster, such as Facebook (roughly 1 in 10 Facebook employees are ex-Googlers). The search giant has been known to give huge bonuses and incentives as part of its counteroffers to keep certain employees from leaving, but now it looks like the company is thinking bigger than that. CEO Eric Schmidt has decided to reward all Google employees with a company-wide raise, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The salary increase for all 23,000 Google employees will take effect on January 1, 2011. It will be a minimum of 10 percent, meaning some employees will see even bigger raises. There's also a $1,000 holiday bonus coming at the end of this year, and Google plans to pay the taxes on it, in order to allow employees to keep everything. It's estimated that all these extra expenses will cost the company some $1 billion.

Google is clearly going the extra mile to keep its employees as part of the company, and happy about it. Furthermore, the move suggests that the company's financial performance continues to be very strong. "While we don't typically comment on internal matters, we do believe that competitive compensation plans are important to the future of the company," a Google spokesperson said in a statement. Google CEO Eric Schmidt disclosed the raise in an e-mail to employees: "We want to make sure that you feel rewarded for your hard work," he wrote. "We want to continue to attract the best people to Google."

Permalink to story.

Damn. They literally can do "no evil". I hear the perks of working for Google are pretty awesome as well.

I'm sure Google would be an awesome place to work, even without the bonuses. :) Congrats to the employees though!

Google clearly knows how to motivate their employees. With that working conditions every employee will go at work by running :D

wow hey. And I just got a 0.6% (not a typo) annual increase and they just took away my 13th cheque (my Christmas bonus). I'm happy for Google employees though. Hopefully it will resonate across the industry.

Nice move to stop or at least slow it; 'people are the most important assets of companies like google', as it is the minimum raise I'm sure more people on more critical position will be getting much higher rise ;)

This is pretty impressive. While I doubt it'll put pressure on any other tech company, this is a great way to say thanks to the employees. $1 billion is an insane amount to spend on perks though.

I agree with Archean that your employees are your most important assets. Without good employees nothing else matters. I've worked a TON of jobs where the managers and owners don't get that and everyone is miserable so the quality suffers.

Not a bad annual pay rise, and you can't snip at the bonus either. I've never had a bonus like that but I've had higher pay rises annually. That was offset by a lower salary to "prove" myself though, but I still had a 40% payrise inside 2.5 years. :haha:

Now I'm unemployed and fairly skint... And a student... Oh the joys! :D

WTG Google. Finally some good news amongst the gloom and doom of the current recession. I'm sure the Big Zero will somehow claim it's his idea.

all bosses should be reminded of this: always remember those who helped the company to get to where it is right now and show your thanks

./wrist

I want to work for google...dear god would that be nice..*has work envy*

I love taking surveys at work where they ask me "Do you think that where you work is the most sought after business for someone in your position?".... I seriously have to not laugh every time I see that question. Like they really even need to ask that of someone who works in IT.

A tousand dollar bonus, if only you knew what that mwould mean to me. Super FANTASTIC. But all thesam, I prefer to be my own boss and build my own google.

Its awesome to work at Google isn't it?

But, its sad how every good deed of a large company is for the wrong reasons. They're apparently doing this to keep their employees from leaving their jobs for better ones.

But still, a good deed is a good deed, no matter the reasons I guess

Lucky lucky google guys..

Great working environment, great reputation, great perks, great future... now this? Why can't my employer be more like Google. Great move by Google. In this economy, workers have gradually become more productive but wages for years have been stagnant. Morale among the workforce has been low because most feel like they are stuck in neutral and unappreciated by their employers.

awsome. if i would to choose between facebook and google, i would pick google by a long shot. i dont think facebook will really be used when something new comes along. google still astounds me on how it stays in place a gets better and better every year. the employees do deserve the raise since google is earning more and more

Good for them and awesome for the employees (assuming they we being paid well to being with).

Certainly nothing to shake a stick at. But that's what happens when companies are doing well. The problem with today's economy is that companies aren't doing well, and they can't afford to keep their employees, let alone give them a large raise because of the tough economy. At this point I'd just be thankful I still have a job. However, congrats to them for working for the right company.

Back