Google to release branded tablet within six months

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt has announced that his company will begin marketing a tablet to rival Apple and all others. Said tablet could be ready within the next six months, although any specific details regarding the device were left to the imagination.

In an interview with Italian newspaper Corriere della Sea, Schmidt praised the late Steve Jobs, pointing out that he realized the revolutionary potential of the tablet beyond vertical and enterprise markets by bringing it to the consumer level. He even called the iPad an amazing product but of course was quick to remind readers that the two companies are competitors and that Google plans to market a tablet in the next six months “of the highest quality.”

What we don’t know yet is if the new tablet would be a Google-branded product or if they plan to work with another manufacturer on a rebranded launch. We’ve seen a few Google-badged smartphones over the years so that route wouldn’t be unheard of.

But perhaps the underlying story here could be Google’s announcement to buy Motorola’s mobility unit back in August for $12.5 billion. Andy Rubin, senior vice president of mobile at Google, stated a few months later that the company had no plans to get into the handset manufacturing business as a result of the planned acquisition, but would those same rules apply to the tablet industry?

Motorola recently dropped two new tablets, the Droid Xyboard 10.1 and 8.2 as a follow-up to the original Xoom early this year, perhaps meaning a Tegra 3 tablet by the middle of next year would be right on track.

Permalink to story.

Re: Motorola - I wouldn't use the term, "dropped" as in "Motorola recently dropped two new tablets . . ." Maybe "introduced" would be more appropriate.

Btw, I'm still waiting for the Samsung Galaxy 7.7 tablet to appear on U.S. shores!

At this point, only Windows 8 has a hope of truly rivaling the iPad 2 on the tablet market. A Google-branded tablet will mean nothing, but having "Google" branded on the back. Android in tablets has been around, and only a select few have been able to do marginally well. I can't see how this will somehow change this.

And as if Android wasn't fragmented enough on smartphones with the "Google-branded" Nexus series, now they'll released a Nexus-like tablet to add insult to the injury. Bravo, Google, bravo.

@lawfer

You talk about Android "fragmentation", then praise a Windows tablet. That makes little sense, as introducing more (and completely disparate) operating systems is a much worse fragmentation problem than simply having different pieces of hardware.

A Windows tablet is likely to end up like the Zune. I'm sure it will be nice, but it's too little too late. Everyone will have tablet exhaustion by then.

as much as I hate apple and everything it stands for, and would love to see Google clean the floor with apple, I seriously do not believe a Google branded tablet will rival any of apple's iCrap, tablet or other wise.

However it does sound good!

Chrome is going good, so Chromebooks are probably going to die a death of a thousand paper cuts.

hmmmm.....ok, here's what i want. a tablet in a wi-fi version, chrome interface, and extended battery life. i guess i want an internet appliance. i have a chromebook and it is my primary device of choice, even more so than my t.v. gimme a chrome tablet priced like a toaster oven and every member of my family will have one. there needs to be a device for the masses.

Depends on what you mean by rival. If you mean success in the market, you may be right. If you mean match or exceed the iPad on pretty much every feature, they already do...

If it can best the iPad at its price points while still offering a quality product, then it'll probably do well.

"A Google-branded tablet will mean nothing, but having "Google" branded on the back. Android in tablets has been around, and only a select few have been able to do marginally well. I can't see how this will somehow change this.

And as if Android wasn't fragmented enough on smartphones with the "Google-branded" Nexus series, now they'll released a Nexus-like tablet to add insult to the injury. Bravo, Google, bravo. " Said Lawfer

"as much as I hate apple and everything it stands for, and would love to see Google clean the floor with apple, I seriously do not believe a Google branded tablet will rival any of apple's iCrap, tablet or other wise."
Said guest

Could not agree more with both of theses views. I wish Shmit would just shut up and stop the BS until 2 years from now when they might just have a produce that compares.

Lol @guest do NOT argue with lawfer or else he'll make you look stupid

Two things. 1) Google: Show me the money! Until we see one, it means little more than me talking about making an iPad competitor.

2) Affordable 4G LTE. Do It.

Guest said:
@lawfer

You talk about Android "fragmentation", then praise a Windows tablet. That makes little sense, as introducing more (and completely disparate) operating systems is a much worse fragmentation problem than simply having different pieces of hardware.

A Windows tablet is likely to end up like the Zune. I'm sure it will be nice, but it's too little too late. Everyone will have tablet exhaustion by then.

Well, well...

First of all, I didn't "praise" a Windows tablet, I merely said right now only Windows 8 has the most hope to rival the iPad 2. This is attributed to a few facts: 1) Apple iPad opened what is a niche, but rapidly increasing market; by being the opener of this market, it, of course, holds most of its shares; 2) The competing platforms have been released, such as Android, webOS, and the QNX-based BlackBerry Tablet OS; 3) All three competing platforms have actually done little to take away market share from the iPad 2, as one of the biggest reasons for its high market share is that Apple strived to maintain a cohesive ecosystem in which all of its devices maintain the same level of usability and predictability expected from an Apple product; 4) This amount of usability and predictability, is, sadly, nowhere to be found on all competing platforms.

The only company I see that can keep the same cohesiveness around its myriad of products is Microsoft. Especially since Windows 8's hybrid interface aims to resemble WP7 and other Microsoft devices and services.

Second, who's exactly introducing more operating systems here? What makes little sense is that, from what I said, you somehow gathered I was comparing the desktop OS with a mobile OS. You seem to forget that Windows 8 will <u>also</u> run <i>on</i> ARM, opening the mobile world to the desktop OS... not that there will be an "ARM-only Windows 8" version. All this means there is going to be no fragmentation as not only new Windows operating systems are released every 4-5 years, but because even within this 4-5 year span, the new tablet devices released will unequivocally include Windows 8, and not some Windows 8.5. Where's the fragmentation here?

Third, the reason why Android is known for its fragmentation is because a new Android OS version is usually released every 6 to 12 months. This, and the fact that it is free, brings along a whole set of issues. Add to that the fact that OEMs have the freedom to release a myriad of devices, each one having X version of Android; but not necessarily the latest. So tell me how, if I buy the newly released HTC Rezound, which comes with Gingerbread, I have to wait months to get ICS, whereas the Nexus S that was released last year can get it now? (Don't even get me started on other devices, such as LG/Samsung devices.) <i>That</i> is fragmentation. Add to that the fact that some OEMs don't give a **** and you will probably never even get the latest update. (Or, if you're lucky, you <i>will</i> get the latest update, but oh no, it turns out Android 5.3 codenamed Ice Cream Truck is already out...!)

Fourth, you say a Windows tablets will end up like Zune? Wrong. Again, you seem to be comparing a desktop OS with a mobile OS (Windows CE 6.0 is the OS behind Zune). Windows 8 is a desktop/mobile hybrid. Microsoft will not manufacture its own Windows 8 tablets, like how they did with their Zune devices. OEMs will, just like you see with Windows 7 now. And tablets seem like a niche market now, but it really is a matter of time before the market blooms. Right now, I'd rather buy a tablet for my parents than a new computer; it's easier to use and its capabilities are more centric allowing its learning curve to be extremely shorter when compared to full desktop PCs. This ease of use (add the fact that its all touch-based), makes it great for everyday, simple tasks, which is something that's starting (or will start) to kick in consumers' minds coming 2012. Sometimes a new product changes the market, not the other way around.

Guest said:
@lawfer

Partially true, a windows tablet may be much more 'affordable' with roughly similar specs (at worst) when compared to iPad. Also don't forget that Microsoft is probably the only company which is closer to offering uniformed interface across all its OS platforms. Secondly, Android isn't a magic bullet which can solve all such issues, in fact its business model is the root cause of all this fragmentation. I strongly agree with lawfer's assertion that Android tablets aren't going anywhere, nor their future looks bright against the top dog of today.

We should also consider that since android makes manufacturers possible to make devices suitable for various needs , fragmentation is unavoidable.

About market share I think that when anyone goes to purchase an android, he is presented various devices, from which he chooses best suitable device, unlike iOS where he has to purchase among 2 or 3 devices. Hence market share of a single ios device would count more than any droid.

Android has made possible for everyone to possess a smart phone. It has also enabled manufacturers to make devices as per end users requirement.

It is not compulsory that each toffee taste same. Similarly it is not compulsory that each android device look, feel, work and function similar.

How can I get excited about this news when I know in my heart this Tab will run Chrome OS and not android, Google please leave the Cloud OS thing for your Lappy only.

I'm confused. I thought Larry Page makes all of the product announcements now that he is the CEO of Google, and Eric Schmidt will be in an advisory role as Executive Chairman. Is Larry Page in agreement with this announcement? I don't see his name mentioned anywhere in the article....Oh boy!.

Back