TechSpot

Google's 2006 phone prototype looked like a Blackberry

By Rick
Apr 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In documents produced by Oracle and Google's squabble over Java, The Verge has managed to spot a particularly interesting find -- a prototype Google phone from 2006. Perhaps the progenitor...

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Well it's been documented before that Android was to be more of a Blackberry OS style operating system until the iPhone launched in 2008 and created a completely different form of competition.

3. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 718   +222

<i>It sports a physical QWERTY keyboard (remember those?) and a small LCD screen relegated to the upper half of the handset.</i>

Yeah, we "remember" them..so does most of the developing world - you know, all those places where they actually <i>make</i> all the technology? Funny thing about phones: you can type a lot faster when you don't need one hand just to hold the thing while you hunt n' peck with the other. Physical keys are also nice for those who don't have flawless motor control. In summary, QWERTY = tool, touchscreen = toy. But you knew that already.

How I wish Google would go ahead and make a portrait QWERTY with Android. RIM still has a ton of users around the world - why not steal them all away? Some people simply <b>cannot<b> use a touchscreen for typing, and many others simply want the rapid messaging that only a real keyboard can provide. Up the specs on the Droid Pro and include a cursor controller (touchpad, trackball, even arrow keys). BOOM, millions of new Googlites overnite, and we can finally give RIM a proper burial. Nobody outside government and a few big corporations actually uses BES and nobody really <i>wants</i> to, so that's <b>not</b> an issue. I'm talking about the masses sporting Curves, just praying for a superior QWERTY device. They won't be able to get their hands on true Android RIM clone fast enough, and they <b>won't</b> demand it be free on contract, either! And, just like with the iPhone and Android handsets, these phones will move into the public and enterprise sectors in short order. Do it, Samsung, HTC, Google - SOMEBODY. JUST FRIGGIN' DO IT!!

4. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 117

5. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 531   +146

psycros, they do have them. But the thing is that it will take more than that to "finally give RIM a proper burial". Don't just blindly assume that consumers want the great qwerty keyboard that BB's offer...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.