TechSpot

Graphiccs Card/Motherboard compatibility problem

By Jus2Gud
Aug 4, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is the first time I've posted on here and I was wondering if any one could help me with the problem I have. :confused: I have recently bought a motherboard and CPU combo and my motherboard says that it has an 8x AGP slot, I was hoping that my graphics card would work until I found out that my graphics card was 4x, and now I don't know what to do, will my 4x graphics card work in the 8x slot? Please can you help me because I'm not sure whether I need to buy a new graphics card or not. Thanks very much for your time.:grinthumb
  2. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,538   +92

You can use the 4x card in the 8x slot. You can set the speed in the bios, should automatically use 4x speed. Its only older 2x cards that will not work in 8x slot (due to differences in the AGP 2.0 and AGP 3.0 specifications, different voltages).
  3. Jus2Gud

Jus2Gud Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you very much, I will try it as soon as I get it. Thank you for your help:D
  4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,383   +15

Just remember PCIE/PCI Express wont be backwards compatible like this ;)
  5. Jus2Gud

PCIE/PCI Express? Never heard of it I'm afraid, I don't know much about inside my computer, i've got 5 PCI slots have they got anything to do with the PCI Express/PCIE?
  6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

PCIE is an up and coming new PCI version. Your motherboard does not have this version, so don't worry about it.
  7. Jus2Gud

Another problem I'm afraid, it seems like I'm going to have to get another power supply, anything above 400W I've been told, but my monitor is different, it doesn't plug into the mains, instead it draws the power from the computer, so its got like a PC power cable but with the 3pins instead of holes. Now I need a PSU which can take that, is there any specific name for that type of PSU? Please can you help resolve this problem.
  8. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

You are better of mounting a standard powerplug on the end of your monitor's power-cable, then plug that straight into the mains.
    You will have to remember to switch on/off your monitor manually.

Most powersupplies today don't accomodate the monitor anymore.

Look for an Enermax or Antec Truepower in the 430W range.
  9. Jus2Gud

Thanks, I never thought of that, I'll try that as soon as I decide which power supply to get. Thanks very much for your help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.