Graphics card advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HereticAngel

Hey i'm getting a new graphics card for my computer need to know what is compatible and what you guys recommend, my price range is between $100-$200 us and im looking to play games like Diablo 3, Crysis. If you think ill need a new power supply please suggest ideas for that too. here are my specs. i dont know how much of this is necessary so i chucked heaps down.

Compaq Presario SR5540AN

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2800 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 1920 MB
BIOS Type Award (04/28/08)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB] (CNC801QK03)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
Disk Drive Maxtor Basics Desktop USB Device (465 GB, USB)
Disk Drive Apple iPod USB Device (941 MB, USB)
Disk Drive ST336032 0AS SCSI Disk Device (335 GB)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 334015 MB (206444 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 9381 MB (1273 MB free)
J: (NTFS) 476937 MB (434274 MB free)
Total Size 801.1 GB (626.9 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (192.168.1.66)
Modem PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Canon MP210 series Printer
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

Also I'm from New Zealand.

HI HereticAngel,
Welcome to Techspot.
I see you have a lot of 'unknowns ' in your spec list there, so here are the particulars on your machine.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01485446&cc=nz&dlc=en&lc=en
I would go with this card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=hd_5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product
It will give you good performance to 1920 x 1080 most games on details on high. Crysis will have to be backed of a bit at that resolution.

If you can swing a bit more...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161327&cm_re=hd_5830-_-14-161-327-_-Product
The 5830 will get you the high details at that resolution, and handle AA settings more handily.
As far as power supplies, I will assume that your OEM machine came with a really lousy PSU that 99.9% of them come with. A 350W or so Bestech or low end Antec, or the like. so yes you will need a new PSU if that is the case. this PSU is of excellent quality and will work nicely for either of the cards I recommended.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
If you can let us know what those cards run in NZ (i understand components are extremely expensive there) we**** I'm sure CMH is right on my heels here :p:wave:**** can get you a better idea for your budget.

*****I also notice that you only have 2gb of ram. Adding another 2gb would be extremely advantageous and pretty much necessary.

Thanks man, the cheaper card is $277 and the better one $390.
Would it be worth it in the long run(i'm planning to have this computer for a number of years) to save up for the better one rather than buy the cheaper one now?
Also i assume i need the power supply before i can run the graphics cards is this true?
The power supply is $126.
I have been led to believe that you need crossfire to be able to run radeons but you have only placed them so is this info wrong? or is my computer actually crossfire compatible?

1. In the longer run, 5830 is a slightly better solution.
2. You may need a new PSU, as usually system builders like HP don't sell systems like you with much head room when it comes to PSU wattage etc.
3. No you can run Radeons in a single card configuration without any issue.

Hey Rit,
Well I didn't advised him about DX10 cards because he is saying he'd be using this system for next 3-5 years; hence, IMHO he'd be better off with DX11, as it'll give him slightly longer life.

Then the HD 5830 at least. But I wonder if 5 years down the line these cards will still play well.

@ Ritwik
nahin yaar 5 yr to much bro
Gaming industry is flourishing day by day ... max 2 yr after that change card if you are enthusiat

@ Archean
Good suggestion of 5830 for longer run but i think 5700 series will also work isnt it?

That is OP's choice really, I have no idea at which resolution he wants to play these games, which can be detrimental factor in this decision.

That is the obvious logical choice, here are two suggestions in this regard:

POWERCOLOR AX5770 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5770 512MB
HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB

These are just to give you idea so you can figure out what these may cost you in your area; also ensure that you buy from a reputed vendor, so in case, there are some issues with the hardware, you can get it replaced without any hassle.

At the resolution you intend to play these games IMHO you do not need 1GB frame buffer, but anyway, that is your call because the price difference isn't that great.

Your choice seems to be ok to me, however, as red pointed out in his earlier post you will need a new PSU as well, which should be no less than 450W and should be of good quality/brand. Regards

You are most welcome and goodluck, do please do keep us posted about your results with the upgrades :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back