GTX 460 or GTX 560 Ti

Greg S

I have been waiting to get a good graphics card to be able to play some games with some decent detail settings. I am trying to decide if I should go with the gtx 460 or if I should wait a few months and get the 560 Ti. My reason to wait is that hopefully the price will drop. The game I want to be able to play is the Sims 3, preferably with all settings maxed and at 1080p res. At the same time that I upgrade my video card I will also get the Intel core i7 2600, so the cpu should be no issue. I also have 4gb of Ram already so there isn't much of an issue there either. I was wondering, what are some peoples thoughts on Evga's 460 1gb superclocked external exhaust model? Would this keep my case cooler than another model with the more common fan? As for the 560, I don't really have that much of an opinion on brand yet. I would like some suggestions on what to get.

BTW, My psu is a corsair 750 watt model.

By far, I recommend the EVGA model of a GTX 460 SE.

It costs $164 + tax ... after the rebate only $144 + tax.
The EVGA GTX 560 Ti costs $260 while only improving the performance by 20% or so.

Either of these cards will run Sims 3 on entirely maxed out settings and resolution. Just see how the GTX 460 and the 560 perform on the most graphic intensive games currently in existence! The EVGA GTX 460 SE requires a PSU of at least 450 Watt, so your 750 Watt PSU will do just fine.

Since your new i7 2600 Sandybridge processor will require a new LGA-1155 socket motherboard, are you doing a custom build or buying a pre-assembled machine?

I am going to be building my own system. I wasn't entirely sure just how much power these cards had, but apparently I am in the right area. Either of these cards should leave me plenty of room to play games a lot more intense then the Sims. I definitely see your point on the price to performance ratio. I am going to start looking for a good deal on the 460. I know that I don't really need the regular 1gb 460, but it would be nice to have the superclocked/factory overclocked model. I probably won't get that though, seeing as your suggestion of the 460 se is at a good price.

Back