GTX 670 sound issue

Specs:
Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i7 2700k
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
PCU: Corsair TX750

Hi there, this is my first post. I am having an issue with the sound not working. The HD audio is connected properly and I am not using an HDMI cable. I'm not entirely sure if the Motherboard Sound Card works (in which case I would buy a separate sound card), but everything is connected. Would the problem be that I'm using a DVI cable in the GPU rather than an HDMI cable in the Motherboard?

DVI and VGA have nothing to do with audio.
Could you maybe be a tad more specific about your problem?
when did it start occurring?
are you using speakers/headphones? what kind?
also when you say "DVI cable in the GPU rather than an HDMI cable in the Motherboard?" that's a bit confusing. please don't tell me you have a DVI and HDMI cable plugged in at the same time :D
anyway, some more information would be welcome :)

If the speakers are part of the monitor then you'll need HDMI or DP. DVI doesn't carry audio and requires the use of (usually) a cable with 3.5mm jacks at either end- which fits into the motherboards centre audio socket (light green colour code).

If you're dealing with standalone (seperate) speakers then the jacks on the speakers correspond with the colour coded audio-out on the same onboard soundcard

If you're having problems with accessing sound via the chassis audio ports then that might represent a problem with the automatic jack retasking (the board should detect the headphones/speakers added to the front chassis port- though some jack retasking fails if the rear speakers remain connected or if the headphones/speakers aren't recognised)

If the speakers are part of the monitor then you'll need HDMI or DP. DVI doesn't carry audio and requires the use of (usually) a cable with 3.5mm jacks at either end- which fits into the motherboards centre audio socket (light green colour code).

If you're dealing with standalone (seperate) speakers then the jacks on the speakers correspond with the colour coded audio-out on the same onboard soundcard

If you're having problems with accessing sound via the chassis audio ports then that might represent a problem with the automatic jack retasking (the board should detect the headphones/speakers added to the front chassis port- though some jack retasking fails if the rear speakers remain connected or if the headphones/speakers aren't recognised)

Yeah, the speakers are on the monitor. I'll try that and check back later. Thanks :)

No, the DVI cable is plugged into the graphics card, and there is no HDMI plugged into the motherboard at the same time. The speakers are in the monitor, so this might be the problem. I'll try what dividebyzero had in mind, and I'll give a status update later. Thanks though! :p

Yeah, the speakers are on the monitor. I'll try that and check back later. Thanks :)
If you're using a DVI connector (GTX670 to monitor) then look for a 3.5mm jack plug on the monitor. If your monitor didn't come equipped with an audio cable (it should) then they are relatively cheap. You are looking for something that looks like this:
35mm-to-35mm-audio-cable.jpg

Yep, like DBZ said, you need to hook up an audio cable since DVI doesn't carry audio. these sort of cables usually come with your motherboard, or you could buy them for relatively cheap.

I beg to differ, I have a graphics card with a dvi-I dual link to hdmi cord plugged into my computer right now and it definitely caries sound. I don't know if the same would happen with a dvi-d to hdmi I will try that later and see.

Some cards do allow for audio over DVI ( GTX 260/275/280/285 and HD 3870 come to mind), but it isn't a given that this is the case. I'm also using a GTX 670 atm and it doesn't allow for audio over DL DVI-D

The fact that the OP hasn't updated the thread for six weeks tends to infer that the issue has been solved.

I have a Gigabyte windforce x3 670 right here and it has one dvi-d port and one dvi-I port both dual link and both carry sound sound when plugged in using a dvi-d dual link to hdmi cord. Gigabyte windforce x3 is the CHEAPEST 670 there is and if it has that feature then I am willing to bet that all 670s have it

Also about this thread not being updated, I don't care I just found out this interesting fact I want to post it somewhere because everyone and their brother is saying no audio over dvi, over and over and I know that is not true there is a way to get audio over dvi!

I have a Gigabyte windforce x3 670 right here and it has one dvi-d port and one dvi-I port both dual link and both carry sound sound when plugged in using a dvi-d dual link to hdmi cord. Gigabyte windforce x3 is the CHEAPEST 670 there is and if it has that feature then I am willing to bet that all 670s have it...Also about this thread not being updated, I don't care I just found out this interesting fact I want to post it somewhere because everyone and their brother is saying no audio over dvi, over and over and I know that is not true there is a way to get audio over dvi!
Comprehension fail.

OP said that "The HD audio is connected properly and I am not using an HDMI cable...Would the problem be that I'm using a DVI cable"
The OP is therefore using a DVI-DVI cable NOT a DVI to HDMI, so you should be taking into account both the cable and the monitor, since a lack of HDMI might indicate that the hardware requires a 3.5mm audio jack.
Secondly I said "doesn't allow for audio over DL DVI-D" - same thing again, since my 2560x1440 panel doesn't allow for sound over DVI.

Feel free to carry on venting.

Phantasmor... being able to pass audio over DVI is the exception, not the norm.

But it IS possible and a lot of monitors that have built in speakers have an hdmi input. People just act like there is no option besides plugging in a 3.5mm cord. I would not even know it was an option if I did not coincidentally have the cord and need to use it to plug up to a TV. You just never hear people throwing that up as an option at all. You see dvi NEVER caries audio and you see it everywhere you turn. Anyway, just putting the option out there and saying it IS possible.

Quit arguing, the main topic of this post has (presumably) already been resolved.
Nobody wants to hear any more whining about DVI's audio capabilities.

You post that 4 days after the fact. You act like it happening constantly. Let the thread die if it annoys you so much, don't complain(whine) about supposed whining 4 days later. Are you crazy or do you just want the last word?

I'm neither crazy, nor do I 'want the last word'.
I like Techspot, and it's community. Nobody likes people who are ungrateful and or complain.
Please stop further posts on this thread.

I am neither ungrateful nor am I complaining. As I have stated numerous times I am saying that a hdmi to dvi-d dual link cord outputs sound through the hdmi end.I have also stated that it is a lesser explored option because you hear over and over again that dvi never carries sound under any condition. I don't see why I can not state that without people complaining. That is all.

Back