GTX 680 + GTX 260

muttfacejohnson

Will my Antech High Current Gamer 750W PSU be able to power my GTX 680 FTW 4gb overclocked to 1215Mhz core clock, 3152 Mem Clock, And a GTX 260 which will posiibly also be over clocked. I did the overclocking of the 680 with precision x and have kept voltage the same since it is locked. For the 260 I will also keep voltages the same. I also have my CPU overclocked to 4.4Ghz on watercooling with no voltage adjustment.

So will my PSU be able to handle the added 260 which I might overclock, or maybe the 260 at stock with the rest of my components?

Yes, easily. That's a good quality PSU.

Out of interest are you using the 260 for Physx?

Why dont you just use a GT640 for physx?
Thats a pretty low power GPU ( 8800GT territory) allied with fairly slow DDR3 RAM for the most part (GDDR5 cards are OEM only)

A better bet would be a GTX 460 - either a full-fat (or SE) 256-bit card, or 192-bit version. Should be relatively cheap in the resell market, low-ish power draw, and GPU power in the GTX 260 to GTX 285 range - depending on the version of GTX 460.

Hmm true. how do you even use another card for physx anyways... just add it in without a sli bridge?

That's it. The card can sit in any available PCIe x16 slot (even if the slot is x8 or x4 electrical). You then nominate the card for PhysX duties in the Nvidia control panel.

GTX 680 is a DX11 card, the GTX260 is only DX10 so does this not mean that your system will only be able to use DX10? I ask because I have an old GTX270 that I wanted to use as a dedicated physx card but did not because I would only be able to utilise dx10.

GTX 680 is a DX11 card, the GTX260 is only DX10 so does this not mean that your system will only be able to use DX10?
No.
PhysX doesn't use DirectX it uses CUDA. So long as the primary card is DX11 capable, then you can run DX11 games (OS permitting of course)
I ask because I have an old GTX270 that I wanted to use as a dedicated physx card but did not because I would only be able to utilise dx10.
Sounds like you got some really bad advice from someone if that is what you've been told.

/ I presume you mean GTX 275. There is no GTX 270 card.

Physx is pretty flexible. You can even run a dedicated Nvidia Physx card with AMD card(s) as your main one.

Back