TechSpot

Hackers steal more than 1 million Steam codes for DiRT 3

By Jos
Sep 6, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Some 1.7 to 3 million Steam codes for a free copy of Codemasters' DiRT 3 have been leaked onto the web, according to reports. The codes were meant to be…

Read the whole story

2. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

If the codes were mean to be box shipped whit AMD video cards, why did they had it in their servers?
    couldn't they just have some off-servers network or even a windows 95 PC that is not wired to the whole servers?

3. blimp01

blimp01 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157

I bought a key off some site a while ago for like $15 and i have a feeling it was one of these stolen keys.

4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,968   +738

DiRT 3 for fifteen bucks? What makes you think the key is dodgy?

5. blimp01

blimp01 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157

i just remembered that it wasn't a steam key but I still bet it's stolen haha!

6. colinf

colinf TS Rookie Posts: 43   +7

the codes aren't in the boxes, you receive them in email from the retailer you bought the card from, which you then activate/download from steam

amd run this promo for most games that have been released with the gaming evolved logo...deus ex hr being the latest

7. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

[/quote]
    the codes aren't in the boxes, you receive them in email from the retailer you bought the card from, which you then activate/download from steam[/quote]

ah! well since i saw "were meant to be distributed with specific Radeon cards" i assumed they came in the box (also the AMD page is offline, so no info), since they had gave codes for Passmark software whit them too

8. It's unclear if users would simply LOSE access to the game or see their accounts being blocked.

*fixed*

PS, Does anyone finish public school anymore?

9. "PS, Does anyone finish public school anymore? "

My thoughts exactly, but that word is misspelled often. Also, have you read these other comments? OMFG! people can't write worth Shiznetz.

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

The preferred spelling is S-H-I-Z-N-I-T-S, although although E-T-Z is an acceptable ethnic variant.

11. doradhorror

doradhorror TS Rookie Posts: 36

"Hackers?" I hate when articles do this. It was a simple directory of plain text file available to the public. The dumb guy forgot to put an .htaccess file and everybody on the internet could access them..

12. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Seems legit'…

13. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

Some people don't have English as their native language. And probably these people speak a second language better than a lot of people speak their native language. No need to post insults but could have just messaged the author and advised him of his mistake.

On topic, I doubt a few millions codes will be a major issue for them to block/ban. I do agree with what others have commented though, why wasn't this data just held offline?

14. YuriLoverChick

YuriLoverChick TS Rookie Posts: 28

I know it's not going to be easy to block and take them off the internet. Once it has been released you never know exactly where it can end up. They can even hide it right in front of their faces and not know about it sadly. Hopefully this can be resovled without any troubles ya'know? =3

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.