Hard disk space phenomena

Status
Not open for further replies.

raahil_cool

hi,
i have a very strange situation here.
i have a 80 gb hdd which i have partioned to 20GB and 60 GB.

on the 60GB(59.8GB) drive, the properties tab says 57.9 GB used but when i select all files in the drive and goto properties, it says 44.4GB. now, this includes all hidden and system files and yet theres a 13GB difference.

HOW???
Thanks

yeah yeah, done that. i also went into the recycled folder in the drive and deleted the various recycle bin folders titled recycled<date>.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Right click my computer, and select properties, and then the system restore tab.

You will see a slider that you can use to alter the amount of disk space reserved for system restore.

you may have lots of restore points each of which consume about 200mb of disk space.

If you click start/programmes/accessories/system tools/disk clean up.

On the disk clean up programme click on the more options tab. You can delete all your restore points except for the latest one, by clicking on the clean up button in the system restore panel.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hotice said:
Restore pcan consume as much as 12% space. Try deleting them. Run a chkdsk after that and also defragment your system.
I've heard this is a gud utility to check whts consuming the HD space.
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

sorry for the later reply

ok i downloaded the thing and have attached an image of the disk. i dont know what to do with it!!
by the way, system restore thing is not the problem. i am still missing 8GB

Thanks for all ya help so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back