TechSpot

"Hard Drive Catastrophic Failure" or "The night is darkest before dawn"

By madboyv1
Oct 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was copying (cut and paste) data from one external hard drive (a 250 GB IDE Maxtor in a Adaptec USB enclosure) to another external (a 400 GB IDE Samsung in a Roswill USB enclosure). During the move. During this move, my Thinkpad T43p encountered a NMI Parity error, to which I'm still unsure what caused it, though I think it may have been my Dock II screwing stuff up. I did memtest 10 times over and my memory passed, so I am assuming its my Dock II. ANYWAYS...

So the NMI Parity error was a blue screen, and I restarted the computer. After the restart I noticed the Maxtor external hard drive was missing from my drive list, and in disk management it show as an uninitialized disk.

Okay, no biggie, I've dealt with this before. I tried using GetDataBack for NTFS, that failed to recover. Also failed were Active Partition recovery, Data Doctor Recovery, File Recovery, Restorer 2000, TestDisk, and ZAR.

I'm guessing my Master File Table is trashed and I can't recover it.

Does anyone have any ideas?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Zar should have recovered it (if the data is recoverable)
    Also (you may already realize this now) in future Copy and paste :)

More recovery tools here
  3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 955   +49

I changed the enclosure and tried again, and it worked. I"ll have to recover a little at a time though. :eek:
  4. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 205

glad to hear you got it working, good luck on the recovery. btw, your title reminds me of a Rocky & Bullwinkle episode :cool: .
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Too fast for me Speedy :)

Please let us know how it all goes (or comes back)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.