"Hard Drive Catastrophic Failure" or "The night is darkest before dawn"

Status
Not open for further replies.

madboyv1

I was copying (cut and paste) data from one external hard drive (a 250 GB IDE Maxtor in a Adaptec USB enclosure) to another external (a 400 GB IDE Samsung in a Roswill USB enclosure). During the move. During this move, my Thinkpad T43p encountered a NMI Parity error, to which I'm still unsure what caused it, though I think it may have been my Dock II screwing stuff up. I did memtest 10 times over and my memory passed, so I am assuming its my Dock II. ANYWAYS...

So the NMI Parity error was a blue screen, and I restarted the computer. After the restart I noticed the Maxtor external hard drive was missing from my drive list, and in disk management it show as an uninitialized disk.

Okay, no biggie, I've dealt with this before. I tried using GetDataBack for NTFS, that failed to recover. Also failed were Active Partition recovery, Data Doctor Recovery, File Recovery, Restorer 2000, TestDisk, and ZAR.

I'm guessing my Master File Table is trashed and I can't recover it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Zar should have recovered it (if the data is recoverable)
Also (you may already realize this now) in future Copy and paste :)

More recovery tools here

I changed the enclosure and tried again, and it worked. I"ll have to recover a little at a time though. :eek:

glad to hear you got it working, good luck on the recovery. btw, your title reminds me of a Rocky & Bullwinkle episode :cool: .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back