Hard Drive compatibility

333rob333

Hi

I bought a hard drive and when I installed it into my Windows 7 system, it went stuck on the Windows logo. I then plugged out my SSD and with only the new hard drive in the system, I tried installing Windows 7 on it, but it's stuck on the Windows logo. I contacted the seller from who I purchased the faulty drive and he wanted to refund me. I really want the drive, so I asked the seller for a replacement drive, but he said that it isn't compatible with my computer, only on camera systems. Now I have never heard of anything like that. Can someone please check if the drive will be compatible with my system? The model is a Seagate Constellation ES model nr. ST1000NM0011. I looked up on Newegg's reviews of the drive and it seemed to work fine on other computers. I told the seller that I think the drive is faulty according to what I saw on the Internet that it is supposed to work, and he told me that he asked his manager and he confirmed that the drive should definitely NOT work on my computer. Can someone please give me professional advise? Is the drive supposed to work on my PC, or am I making a mistake?

I would really appreciate any help on this.
Thank you! :)

IANOP (I am not a professional), but have been building systems for almost 30 years.

Look up data on the drive from Seagate support. Confirm specifications for drive interface are met by your system/motherboard. http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/constellation-es/

Seatools might resolve issue about drive condition - put drive in secondary position on a working system and run seatools.
Thanks for your reply, but when the drive is installed, Windows refuses to boot up, so I can't try out the software :(

Does the HDD register in BIOS/setup? If so, it may be that the HDD is either not partitioned or not formatted?

A clean install might be best answer. I recommend removing existing partitions and creating new ones - just to be sure.

Following is a fine step-by-step: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917
Yes, the drive does show up in the BIOS/Setup, but the problem is that it can't be formatted/partitioned, because every time I try to do a clean install of Windows 7, it just freezes on the Windows logo. Do you think the drive is faulty?

If you are saying " it just freezes on the Windows logo" before it even offers the 'custom' installation option, I would guess there is something wrong with the installation media. The install disc in a CD drive should be able to handle almost anything which is a recognized device.... strange partitions, strange formats, etc.

If you are saying " it just freezes on the Windows logo" before it even offers the 'custom' installation option, I would guess there is something wrong with the installation media. The install disc in a CD drive should be able to handle almost anything which is a recognized device.... strange partitions, strange formats, etc.
That is what I thought aswell, but when I try it with another drive it works fine.

That drive is a Serial ATA. What does your system require; SATA or ATA

@jobeard , it would be neat if you looked this case over. Apparently, the drive is some kind of special camera or surveillance drive. It is probably SATA, but may have some type of weird format (possible some kind of RAID). So BIOS sees it, but installation disc cannot find it. I've suggested a 'custom' clean install, but apparently the Win7 install cannot find the drive at all - and freezes. I feel like I'm missing something... thanks.

I googled "Seagate Constellation ES model nr. ST1000NM0011" and that lead me to the spec of ATA

I contaced Seagate and they replied, please see the link of the screenshot and let me know.
open

If you can boot from the SSD and the installation disc with the Seagate HDD removed, but the introduction of the Seagate as a second data drive causes a boot failure, I have got to believe it or the cable or the connection is faulty. The fact that BIOS can see the drive means I have no explanation for inability of Seatools to say something about it.

This guy had a similar issue because his system apparently has a controller implementation which Windows cannot overcome... https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLia...T1000NM0011-incompatibility-with/td-p/5367133

I'm stumped as to how something can be 'compliant' with an industry spec and still not function in accord with spec. Sadly, seems to be the case here.

I did it and it boots up now! Thanks, but now the drive doesn't show up in disk management
Please help

Back