Hard Drive completely Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skoberlink

Alright so a couple weeks ago I installed windows vista on a 400gb seagate and then dual booted with ubuntu on another drive (vista/400gb as slave). A couple days later this hard drive just starts losing important files. then it loses some file (can't remember name but the way i understood it it was the file that kept track of where all the other files were something like mtfs or something) I can't restore it or anything.

I figured I could reformat and reinstall. there's nothing important on it yet just music which i have elsewhere and that's about it so i'm not worried about data recovery. I just now had time to do this.

I turned my comp on with no problems into ubuntu and then left it on overnight (more on accident than anything else) I came down around 24 hours later and I hear this weird clicking noise and I figure out it's my hdd (spinning but having trouble with it). So i disconnect the linux drive and start trying to fix the vista hdd (plugged in as master drive). It won't start up I can't even get into a boot menu to boot from the windows disk because it keeps trying to find the hard drive but can't cause something's wrong with it.

This wasn't entirely unexpected we had it in a netgear network storage drive at one time which had issues from the start (including blue screening vista before it would even boot) so this hdd's had a rough life. It's also not a huge deal since I have the 120gb seagate as well which was in the same netgear thing but as a very rarely used secondary drive and has shown no signs of any problems. It's more I just that I don't want to throw out a 400gb hdd if I can fix it.

So is this completely dead with no chance of fixing it? Or is there some way i might be able to fix this?

If it is completely dead I'd take ideas on what to do with a dead hard drive (i'm sure there's plenty of cool stuff to do with it and I have no problem taking it apart)

I'm pretty sure the clicking one is gone.

Go into the BIOS and change the boot order, make it boot from the CD drive first then HDD-0 second.

Yeah it was the vista one that was making the click (I realize that wasn't too clear) and that was what i thought...so any cool things to do with a dead hdd?

You could open it up and mount it on the wall. A very snazzy trophy if I say so myself, I have something just like it! :D

Copy_of_DSCF15861.JPG

Maybe you could use it as BLING-BLING :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back