Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
I have been reading through the forum here at the (many) hard drive problems thread and thought this would be a good place to ask for some help.

A while back while using my PC the power went out. When it came back on I was greeted with the message while booting Operating System not found. I couldn't get back onto the disk even though with a bit of messing around in the setup I could get it shown in the BIOS. All the connections were fine and there were no problems with the disk before the power outage (I was plugged into a surge protector if that makes any difference)

Anyway I got a new hard drive and also got hold of a hard drive enclosure (IDE to match the drive) which does have it's own power source. When I plug the USB enclosure in with the disk inside I get the bubble saying that the USB device is found, Then Mass Storage Device found, Then Found WDC WD80 0EB-11DJF0 and finally your new hardware is installed and ready to use.

All seemed good so far but then I go to My computer and there is no drive there. I go to device manager and it shows up under Disk Drives as WDC WD80 0EB-11DJF0 USB Device but If I go to disk management it doesn't show up there either, only my internal hard drive and my CD drive.

All I want to get off it is some important data and then I dont mind if it never works again. I really should have backed it up before hand but stupidly didn't.
If anyone has any suggestions or advice on how to get this working it would be very much appreciated. If it makes any difference the drive is 80GB (I only want about 4GB off it)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Plug it in, internally to a Desktop computer (as a secondary drive)
Then back it up with that computer's My Computer area
That should work :)

Then back it up with that computer's My Computer area
That should work :)

Thanks for the reply :)
The problem is I can get the Drive to appear in the BIOS as a primary or secondary drive. If I put it in as the primary and it shows in the bios the computer just loads to a black DOS screen with a blinking cursor in the top corner and if I put it as the secondary and make sure its showing in the bios by the time the computer comes on its not showing anywhere :S

Not sure why that happens but thats the result I get every time. Hope that makes sense,

Sorry I missed a word

Plug it in, internally to another Desktop computer (as a secondary drive)
Then backup

Once backed up return it to the original computer
And start Windows Setup (removing the partition during the process)

Yea I agree with Kimsland, that is the easiest way to do it. You could also try sto amm, ghost the hardrive, that's a options, or when you go to My Computer try and hit refreash, and sometimes it pops up. I had that problem a week ago on machine I was working on. And I backed the files up, just like Kim said.

Also if you are using and IDE HD make sure the pins are set right
KINGMEET

Thanks for the replies.
The IDE pins are all ok. what is sto amm? I am going to try and get it into another PC if I can and see if that works, I tried the refresh thing also but no luck.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back