HD 7850 vs GTX 660 (non-Ti)

Well, If IRC the 660 will slightly out perform the 7850. But, it is a bit more expensive. Id personally go with the HD 7850. However, it is all up to you. What games did you plan on playing? I would look up their individual benchmarks concerning the two cards and pick the more efficient card.

@Blkfx1-thanks,I would like to play varied games such as AC 3,hitman absolution,far cry 3 etc....Also looking forward to crysis 3 and GTA 5
I read online that since the 7850 has 1gb,it cannot be used to play games at 1080p at ultra (ref farcry 3)

I read online that since the 7850 has 1gb,it cannot be used to play games at 1080p at ultra (ref farcry 3)
It's not entirely because of it's 1GB VRAM that the HD 7850 cannot play some games at Ultra. The 7850 just isn't designed to handle Ultra settings for all modern games. It is a mid-range GPU and it will perform as such.Unfortunately, the HD 7850 will not provide you with playable FPS at ultra settings rather its the 1GB model or the 2GB one for FC3.

AS you can see HERE the 7850 only will provide about 26FPS at 1920x1200 when running Ultra. However, the GTX 660 will put you above 30FPS at ultra(playable). But, you will be paying higher price for the 660. As for Hitman,AC3, GTA 5 and Crysis Id expect the 660 to provide slightly more performance but nothing too significant.

I will say this.. the 7850 should play all those games at high settings with no problem. So, purchasing the 7850 is still a solid choice.

Not sure about your country but the 7800 series comes with free copies of FC3 and Sleeping Dogs in the UK so if you factor in the resale value of those maybe you can get a 7870 ;)

In my country 7800 series comes with FC 3(not a great fan) whereas GTX 660 comes with AC 3(was planning to buy),so effectively 660's price comes down by 10 $!!

@Blkfx1-sorry ,I meant to say 1080p at very high(2x msaa) 7850 2gb gives 30 fps(which is fine for me) but it uses 935 mb of vram....which is dangerously close to the limit,around 958 mb I suppose for the 1gb version

@Blkfx1-also in hitman absolution at 1080p.high and 2x msaa ,7850 gives 35fps but uses 1172 mb vram

GTX660 because it's Nvidia. AMD makes buggy piece of **** software and support is terrible.

GTX660 because it's Nvidia. AMD makes buggy piece of **** software and support is terrible.
dont make those claims... this is a site for support not opinions... they are both the same, but AMD wins the performance for its price. Catalyst is improving.

@UNKNOWN9122-yeah,I know both are good GPUs,I was leaning towards 7850 till I sae that 660 is way better than it in TWIMTBP titles,better than it in neutral titles,and surprisingly better than it in FC 3!!

If you can get hold of a 7870, it would be better than both of those, but if you can only get hold of the 660 or 7850, go 660 since it is more powerful.

Go for the Gigabyte one you linked to, it has an excellent cooler and seems to be the cheapest.

I prefer MSI, but some people may say Zotac or Gigabyte. My rating from past experiences, 1:MSI,2.Zotac,3.Gigabyte

MSI's Twin Frozr coolers aren't the best in terms of cooling performance and are quite noisy, check some youtube videos. Personally I'd say Asus, Gigabyte and Sapphire (AMD only) have the best coolers and they also happen to be the better manufacturers in terms of customer service.

MSI's Twin Frozr coolers aren't the best in terms of cooling performance and are quite noisy, check some youtube videos. Personally I'd say Asus, Gigabyte and Sapphire (AMD only) have the best coolers and they also happen to be the better manufacturers in terms of customer service.
yeah I have noticed this. the direct cu 2 is better than the twin frozr

Back