Help, both my cd-dvd rw drives don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcfell27

My computer dosen't recognise either of my cd-dvd rw drives anymore, they were working yesterday...

I put many different disks in both and I can here them spinning, but I still get 'insert disc'.

windows explorer dosen't register them either...

I've tried system restore and now I'm getting 'found new hardware', and the drivers can't be found, even online.

Virus maybe, McAfee didn't find anything....

Help!!!

A couple of things you can try.

1 Try a different ide cable. They have been known to go bad.

2 Uninstall all your optical drives from device manager(if they are there) and reboot your computer. Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers.

Regards Howard :)

You also might want to try uninstalling the IDE controller which your drives are under, reboot, and Windows will reinstall them.

Sorry, I was mis informed

Sorry, I was mis-informed about the state of the PC (my father in laws), what's happened is, he installed another dvd rw so he'd have two. I don't know why you'd want two either, obviously neither does his bios, because when I removed one dvd rw and put the dvd rom back in, both drives worked fine.

Can someone confirm that this is the case. You can't put two dvd rw's in the one machine??? (conflict with master and slave I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back