Help, buying an SSD

Mister_K

Hey sup guys? I am looking to buy an SSD so I can put my programs such as Firefox, Adobe Suit and similar as well as the OS on it, but having hard time figuring which one would be ideal.

My current MOBO is Asus M4N78-SE. You can view rest of the specs on my profile.

I am currently looking at:

RAM

as well as

SSD

PS:

Budget for SSD + RAM £130 MAX

And snap, my mobo supports only DDR2 so it looks like il be needing to upgrade a new mobo :3

Advice appreciated.

Is it worth getting an SSD then? Will it work on my board since I don't know if its SATA2 or SATA3 compatible.

4 GB of RAM is good for most people. I see you mention Adobe Suite so you may use more if you work with video or large images. As for the SSD, 60 GB is really pushing it for C drive in Windows 7. I have Windows 7, apps, and whatever current game I'm playing on the SSD and I have a hard time keeping it under 60 GB. I went through and cleaned the C drive last week. I cut it back from 61 GB to 48 GB. A quick web search indicates your motherboard supports SATA 3. I'm still leery of the problems with the new SATA3 SSDs. I would save longer for a 120 GB drive if I were you. Maybe they will find a fix by then.

Thank you very much Tarkus. Only reason id get an SSD is for my OS, Photoshop, Firefox and Skype and maybe my Avira anti-virus but apart from that I wouldn't put games on it.

All those should work out below 60GB but thats just guesstimate.

Maybe save the money and buy the bigger one later on.

Id get more RAM but the 8GB costs around £90-£100 for DDR2 since my mobo doesn't support DDR3. I will be saving up and waiting for IVY bridge and once that releases il be spend all my money on completely new PC (need to get a job while at College ... got 5 days free only to thurs/fri graphics)....

Anyway cheers once again ;)

Back