Help! Hard drive move

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,
I am new to this site and I am not sure if my question needs to be in the hardware or software post.
I recently had my primary hard drive quite in my xp pc. It would not boot. It was running fine, and then I turned it off for a thunder storm. The pc did not want to boot again. I was getting a boot.ini error. After trying to get it to boot with no luck I decided to buy a new pc. I bought an e machine. I have a friend that has had good luck with his.
I took the slave hard drive (160g seagate) out of my old pc and put in an external case that is usb to the new pc. The new pc is a T6524 with xp media center edition. The pc sees the hard drive but it will not let me access it. The pc asks if I want to format it. Then I slaved it like in the old pc on the same IDE cable as the primary and have not changed the jumper setting.
When I look in the computer manager it shows the hard drive but it is not the correct capacity and it has no file system.
Is this a compatiblity problem or a xp problem? I would like to get the data off of this drive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

does it show as D drive E drive if so try right click and click on explore
also while right clicked go to security and take ownership/possession of drive.you do not need format to change file system to or from ntfs or fat32
while usb the usb software may have changed it to ext2

It shows as drive G. When I try to right click to explore it states that this drive is not formatted, and asks me if I would like to format. I do not see a place when I right click to go to security to take ownership. Is this a part of xp that I need to download?

If you're being told that it needs to be formatted then it's partitioning has become corrupted for one of a variety of strange or not so strange reasons - the least strange being hard drive failure, the most strange being that "everything 'should' work" wtf?!"

Sorry, but there was no technical term for that.

You may be able to recover your partition(s). The first thing to make sure of is that you've set the drive jumpers correctly, and that it's set up correctly in your BIOS. Incidentally, what size does the drive detect as?

The new PCs main harddisk (C) is probably a SATA disk.
To look at that 'old' HD from the previous PC, you need to change the jumper on the back to Master (unless -in the new PC- it is the second drive on that IDE cable).

The new pc has a 200g ATA primary that came with it, and the old slave drive is a 160g ATA. The old slave has no jumper which is the slave selection. The pc is showing that the old slave drive is 31.5g.

Sounds like your hard drive is being detected in CBS mode (cylinders Heads and Sectors) instead of LBA (Logical Block Addressing), or a jumper option for a "32Gb clip/cap" is set.

You've said it was a seagate 160Gb - what is it's model number?

In the BIOS it is on channel 5 slave with the model number ST3160023A. The primary hard drive is on the channel 5 primary.

Is the Bios autodetect and LBA mode enabled for the drive?

what mainboard do you have, and what's it's bios version?

Has the drive been clicking at all, or not spinning properly at any time?

Have you at any time recieved an error message informing you of a MFT error while writing or reading from the drive?

The BIOS has the choices of auto, large, and none. It is set to auto. the BIOS is Phoenix Award. The master is set to auto also and it shows the master as having 200g. The has been no clicking or problems with spinning. I have had the drive for less than a year. I have not received any errors on this drive. The master in my old pc were this was the slave I believe has a corrupt boot sector.

you probably have the lastest bios so maybe
copy info off of drive
and force load /add to bios and save
also since your running a sata drive it should not hurt to jumper HDD to CS if you can.
not familiar with sata and controller setup seems weird it's on same channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back