Help - I deleted my sound card!

ali...

I hope someone can help!

I somehow accidently deleted my soundcard (whilst add/removing files i think)
There is nothing in 'Audio' in My Computer, its all greyed out so I cannot select anything. I also no longer have the installation cd's.

Could someone help? Could I maybe download another from somewhere?

Thanks

No worries. You either have a sound card that plugs into one of the expansion slots on your motherboard, or its built into your motherboard. Does the sound cable plug into a hole in a card installed in one of your expansion slots, or does it go into a little green hole that's attached your motherboard? That green hole would be near where you plug in your mouse and network cable.

What kind of computer do you have and what OS (operating system) are you using?

There is no plug in the hole at the back, so it must therefore be built into the motherboard.

The OS is Windows XP

Lets assume onboard sound. What kind of computer do you have?

Is it a OEM (Dell, HP), or built from components?

I'll need a model number so that I can look up your motherboard to figure out which sound driver you need to reinstall.

That's your BIOS.

Install this and let me know what sound driver or motherboard type it says.

Or if there is a model number on the case, or in the back.

That's your BIOS.

Install this and let me know what sound driver or motherboard type it says.

Or if there is a model number on the case, or in the back.

oK, bare with me, I installed the link and got these results:

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Multimedia Audio Controller

Then it gives me the option to 'download all'....

probably realtek. try these.

I'm not home and I don't have Everest installed here, but when I get home I'll take a look at where the information is located.

probably realtek. try these.

I'm not home and I don't have Everest installed here, but when I get home I'll take a look at where the information is located.

Sorry to be a pain, when you say 'try these' do you mean just download them to get me volume back?

Assuming that what you did was uninstall your onboard sound, then installing these drivers and software should get your sound working.

If that's not what you did, or if those are the wrong drivers, then it probably won't work.

<snip>

Multimedia Audio Controller

Try this

Open Device Manager. I'm guessing you'll see a group called Other Devices and Multimedia Audio Controller listed under it. Rt click Multimedia Audio Controller, select Update Driver and follow the prompts to allow Windows to search online for a driver. (that sometimes works - give it a try)

try this

open device manager. I'm guessing you'll see a group called other devices and multimedia audio controller listed under it. Rt click multimedia audio controller, select update driver and follow the prompts to allow windows to search online for a driver. (that sometimes works - give it a try)

thanks, i'll try now

Stubborn lil' bugger, isn't it ;)

Try these steps. Should hopefully provide all the data needed so one of us on here can track down that driver (i'll be back later today and see how things look) :)

Run Everest Again
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Multimedia
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)

List Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

everest report

attached Everest report - I hope I've done this right!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• everest report.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi ali

thx for the Everest report. But also provide list of any Problem Devices and attach DxDiag report too please. thx. (see my last post for instructions)

/

Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_0C81105B&REV_80\3&61AAA01&0&A5 This device is not configured correctly.

Problem Devices:
DEVICE PNP DEVICE ID ERROR CODE

Multimedia Audio Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_ This device is
OC81105B&REV_80\3&61AAA01&0&A5 not Configured
Correctly
You must've copied that ID by hand?? At first, i couldn't find any info... till i guessed/realized you must've substituted the letter "O" for a "zero" ;)

In any case, try these instructions

> Look in Ctl Pnl->Add/Remove Programs. Look for a Realtek entry. If there, uninstall it. Reboot

> Download and install Realtek AC'97 Driver (Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003

p.s. The link gwailo247 provided to Realtek drivers included this driver on Realtek's list of drivers. Is my guess this is the specific one you need <fingers crossed> See how it works

Hi ali

One more thing.. I'm glad i also just looked at your dxdiag file. As i also saw this in the report under System Devices
Code:
     Name: ATI SMBus
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4372&SUBSYS_0C81105B&REV_82\3&61AAA01&0&A0
   Driver: n/a

So you still may be missing a needed driver (unless we find it's included and gets installed as part of the audio driver download link i provided in my last post)

fyi... Your motherboard has an ATI chipset. And "ATI SMBus" is a low speed controller that allows for a communication "bridge" between some of the chips on that board

After you install the audio driver
1) Let us know if your audio works
2) Also if you run a new dxdiag, does the ATI SMBus entry still list the Driver as n/a???
3) If that's the case, you might also download the XP download file i found HERE

If problems persist, post back AND also post an updated version of your dxdiag report. might have more clues

/* EDIT */
Also, probably good to be cautious and create a System Restore point before installing the ATI SMBus driver download

Back