Help me sync my sensitivity across the expense of resolutions!

hellokitty[hk]

So there are three main things I do on my computer:

Play Starcraft, at 640x480 4:3, 1.33 ratio
Play Osu!, at 1280x960 (double that of 640x480)
Browse Techspot/do whatever on my desktop at my native resolution 1920x1200 8:5, 1.6 ratio.

Switching mouse sensitivity between Starcraft and Osu! is easy.
In Starcraft, I have my mouse at 625 DPI.
In Osu!, obviously I just use 1250 DPI.

Now my 24" monitor's resolution is native 1920x1200, which is, again 1.6 (uhhg D:, though it looks pristine). That means my desktop's sensitivity is going to be inconsistent. With 1920 being three times 640, if I want my horizontal sensitivity to be the same, I have to set my sensitivity to 1875. Now with 480 being only 2.5 1200, my ideal vertical sensitivity must be 1562.5. Not only is that impossible for my mouse, but I can't have both.

In the recent past, what I've done was average the two for 1718.75, then set my mouse to 1750, which is the closest my mouse will let me. With doses of nightly Osu! and nightly sessions of Starcraft, I suppose I minimized the effect, but after a week of fasting with my desktop, my muscle memory in both Starcraft and Osu! have failed!

I was sure that 1920x 1440 would not be an available option; low and behold, +1 to NVidia control panel! I was, however confident that I would get an out of range error if I tried it. Desperation leads to success! Or not...it left two bars on the side of my screen. No, they are not black, rather they are a pair of mirrors. Weird, everything I put on one side, show faintly on the other. It's hard to describe, and I can't take a screenshot since it's just my monitor screwing with me over; it looks perfect from screenshots. You'll just have to believe me that it won't work out.

From my dilemma, I've derived a couple solutions to my sensitive problem:
I could use a lower resolution with a 1.33 ratio, which look hideous and does not do my background justice.
I could try and make my monitor work at 1920x1440, help me out here.

This is my monitor; I have a 9600gt.
SCEPTRE-24WG-Naga 16:10 LCD
My mouse is a razer Lachesis.

My post was long-winded and confusing, but if you take the effort to read it, I think it provides a sufficient explanation to a tricky problem. So, thank you very much.

Bottom line, because the aspect ratio changes, I can't just change my mouse DPI at a linear rate to keep my sensitivity parallel.
:(.

Ahh, really, at least tell me that I can't T.T.
Or tell me to switch my resolution to 1280x960, as it seems to me that is the only option.

So let me see if I understand this correctly, you want to be able to have your mouse at different DPI levels during gameplay of SC2 and OSU! (What the heck is OSU!? Only OSU I know is Ohio or Oklahoma State.) while in window mode and still be able to browse around online? And the only solution you've found so far is to increase your vertical resolution beyond your native resolution of 1920 x 1200 to 1920 x 1440?

If I understood you correctly that's definitely taking multitasking to a new level. However I'm not sure you can simply increase your vertical resolution beyond the native that your monitor supports as its hardware limited and lowering your resolution to accomplish the same affect would surely hurt all around performance. I've seen some solutions online that do a virtual desktop where you scroll but that seems rather pointless. How are you switching around DPI from game to game to begin with? If its software bound maybe you should look at mice that let you switch on the fly from the mouse itself. I easily switch between 800 to 1600 DPI depending on what I need during gameplay with my mouse.

Lol, yes you got the Osu! homepage, here is the wikipedia on it ^^:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osu!
And its just SC1, but the games aren't really that relevant.

No, its not multitasking, I only play one at once. I guess I didn't manage to explain it well.
So i'm playing SC with my preferred sensitivity, however starcraft is at 640x480 right?
Now I stop and go play Osu!, its resolution is twice that of starcraft, so I have to double my mouse sensitivity to keep up.
The problem is that both SC and Osu! use 1.33 aspect ratio, while my desktop is 1.6, so I can't directly translate my sensitivity by just changing my DPI.
Does that make sense?

How are you switching around DPI from game to game to begin with?
My mouse can, on the fly as you say. Its hardware based.
I have a Razer Lachesis

I re-read it and thought it made sense :(.

DPI is pixels per inch...you probably know that.
If I want to move my cursor horizontally across the screen by physically moving my mouse two inches, at a resolution of 640x480, I would need to have a DPI of 320 right?

for 1280x960 (which is double 640x480), I just double the DPI and the sensitivity feels the same.

But what about 1920x1200?

I re-read it and thought it made sense :(.

DPI is pixels per inch...you probably know that.
If I want to move my cursor horizontally across the screen by physically moving my mouse two inches, at a resolution of 640x480, I would need to have a DPI of 320 right?

for 1280x960 (which is double 640x480), I just double the DPI and the sensitivity feels the same.

But what about 1920x1200?

Im just giving ya 'the business' I have never heard anyone on TS ever ask that question before.

okay, why not just change the sensitivity of the mouse? why mess with the DPI?

Im just giving ya 'the business' I have never heard anyone on TS ever ask that question before.
Haha me neither, I realized it would be a tough question already.

okay, why not just change the sensitivity of the mouse? why mess with the DPI?
Wait, how is that different? Its actually easier to change DPI anyway.

Ok ok...yeah it is.

Cursor movement is a combination of x-axis and y-axis movements.
So actually, what i'm doing is 640/320 = 2 physical inches to move horizontally across the screen, but 480/320 = 1.5 physical inches needed to move across the screen vertically.
It works out to be 4:3, or 1.3, the once common aspect ratio.

Thats fine for 640x480 and 1280x960 since they both have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

For 1280x960:
1280/640 = 2, and 960/640 = 1.5, meaning I need a DPI of 640 to mirror the sensitivity of 640x480 and 320 DPI shown above.
1920/960 = 2, which is the same, wonderful, that means I need a DPI of 960 to keep my horizontal sensitivity parallel, 1200/960 = 1.25. Uh oh...

Ok ok...yeah it is.

Cursor movement is a combination of x-axis and y-axis movements.
So actually, what i'm doing is 640/320 = 2 physical inches to move horizontally across the screen, but 480/320 = 1.5 physical inches needed to move across the screen vertically.
It works out to be 4:3, or 1.3, the once common aspect ratio.

Thats fine for 640x480 and 1280x960 since they both have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

For 1280x960:
1280/640 = 2, and 960/640 = 1.5, meaning I need a DPI of 640 to mirror the sensitivity of 640x480 and 320 DPI shown above.
1920/960 = 2, which is the same, wonderful, that means I need a DPI of 960 to keep my horizontal sensitivity parallel, 1200/960 = 1.25. Uh oh...

so....just white out ...um carry the one.....691200 pixels!

why does this have to be so precise?

So, the horizontal compensation and the vertical compensation factors would be different with different aspect ratios. I get that, but what do all those numbers mean?

Obviously if it was dependent on a mouse's tracking ability, everyone with some pocket money would ace everything.
Yes its how accurate and quickly I move the mouse, but muscle memory gets off by that little bit if I spend some time on my desktop.

Tall order to find a solution IMO O.o.

I would try allowing the mouse to travel further, when dealing with a larger playfield.

Face it, real precision would occur @ 1 to 1 ratio of mouse to cursor, although I full well realize that moving the mouse those distances is totally impractical.

When you talk of muscle memory, that's why a warm up session comes before any sport or game, at least partly to get your muscles rememberin' what they're supposed to be doing.

Here's what the Razer control panel looks like...

Razer_CP.jpg

Bear in mind that the mouse has 9 programmable buttons, of which 2 cycle through the profiles by default. The software isn't lacking in features.
I'd add that profile setting isn't a difficult undertaking, just takes a little time to set up right.

I think that HK is mostly bemoaning the lack of a differential X,Y sensitivity option.
Actually, its right there on the left, just today I was messing around with it.
It seems ok for now, but don't let that sway you from suggesting alternatives :).

Hold up on that link, I forgot.

I was going to ninja edit but whatever.
Here is the instructions, which I think is probably the most informative page for someone who has never played:
http://osu.ppy.sh/?p=faq&n=2&c=2

I told my friend to go to the site, and later he just said "wtf i don't get it", so I made a video. It's the hardest beatmap I could find; I recorded at 45 fps because 30 didn't look that great. I don't know if a video does it justice though as the first time I played, I was really confused.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hfhfdjsk/RandomStuff#5507001102985362690

Yes its Japanese. Couldn't get the audio to work, but the song should be "Don't say Lazy", it's J-pop.

EDIT: It'll take a couple seconds to re-encode.

Back