TechSpot

Help - Multiple iexplore processes using 100% cpu but iexplore not running

By robnye
Sep 18, 2008
  1. help......

i noticed the other day that i had started to get popup windows, seeing that some of the windows had CID: i tried to remove it, by doing full scans of
    spybot
    adaware
    superantispyware
    malwarebytes
    avg antivirus
    removing/deleting all dodgy processes/files found

but the popups didnt go away, i then checked in task manager and noticed several iexplore processes and that the pc was running at 100% cpu usage,
    so i tried rebooting into safe mode and redoing the scans
    again clearing out any dodgy processes reported on.
    when i booted up normal, the iexplore processes were there, one process started to eat up the available memory.

I did manage to kill all of them of and the pc ran as normal until it was rebooted

having read the sticky thread regarding first steps to take to clear and the problem is still there...

hence why i am raising this thread
    and log files attached as requested

nb: the other odd thing is that my avg antirus doesnt seem to be updating automatically........! i have to do it manually

Attached Files:

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

I'm not normally a HJT log reader, but these entries should be ticked and removed:

3. robnye

robnye TS Rookie Topic Starter

thank you , that has killed off the iexplore processes......

would be nice if any spotted anything else in the hijack log, that needs tidying up

4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

There's at least one thing i see you probably don't need started on your Desktop.... with each and every startup.. the process igfxtray.exe

And here's a good place to start learning how to find/identify/control all those extra startups. Visit Pacman's Portal and click on startups. They provide the tutorial plus the tools plus the information you'll need about processes in their database. And it's all very useful stuff to know going forward.

Oh.. and you can look up and see just what igfxtray.exe is when you get there ;)

5. rf6647

rf6647 TS Maniac Posts: 931

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.