Help needed to bypass the CPU fan failed error at startup

My fan recently broke. So I simply jus popped another one on. The fan I replaced it with jus has red and black which is obv live and neg but the one I took out has red black and yellow any idea about the yellow ? The fan works great but CPU fan failed error keeps appearing then when I press F11 it says entering setup but still shuts down.any ideas about how to keep it running just to get into the settings and change the CPU fan settings. Would be grateful with any help. Thankyou.

You bought the wrong type of fan. They aren't all the same. You should have bought a CPU fan but you have a case fan instead. The yellow wire goes to a sensor connection that controls the speed of the fan. The motherboard detects the missing connection and throws the error you saw. The solution is to buy the correct type of fan.

Yep wrong fan but is that third wire reli nessacary ? Can I do without. And I can't get in to bios at all. I press f11 to enter setup and it still shuts down. Can I stop this ?

you could try popping in the old non working fan simply to access the bios. Now thinking about that, that probably wouldn't work, just buy a new fan.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]ello,

First, after passing BIOS boot press F8 to get into maintenance screen of Microsoft.

Second, choose SAFE mode

Third, after logging into Windows 7 Safe mode session, go to Windows services management screen and just disable WMI Service on Windows 7.

Then, after restarting the system you probably will enter the normal Windows session.

Walla .....
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue]Edit[/FONT]

Hi. I wouldn't run my PC for long without the CPU fan running, could end up costing far more than a $10 fan replacement.
On my spare PC, a Pentium 4 2.8 + heatsink/fan combo, the wires are green, yellow & black.

Back