TechSpot

Help OCing Biostar TA790GX 128M

By ZaUcY
Feb 10, 2009
  1. jsut installed a Biostar TA790GX 128M mobo in my system..... I'm not having to much success overclocking it. i can get it about 250Mhz over the stock 2.5Ghz with alright stability but thats about it. anyone have any ideas?

i'm talking about my Phenom 9850 BE precessor of course. i just have a feeling its the mobo holding me back.

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

possibly not Z, phenom1's have a reputation as bieng really lousy overclockers.that 10% may be all you get out of it. what multiplier are you using? and what have you tried thus far?

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Have you tried giving some more juice to the CPU or the NB?

4. ZaUcY

ZaUcY TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 72

i had the multiplier set at stock 12.5 because when i went any higher it was extremly unstable(couldn't even boot windows) but that was when i already set the refrence clock to 220. i over volted the northbridge and the cpu, even tried under clocking the ram and setting the multiplier higher but that didnt work either. i have got it to 2.8GHz before but like i siad, EXTREMLY unstable.

hey red1776, i just read your system specs and it says you re timed your ram. how exactly do you do that? i tired seting mine to 4clk from stock 5clk but it wouldnt run.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

What about aftermarket cooling? Also, have you tried setting dividers in the BIOS for the FSB and RAM frequencies?

6. ZaUcY

ZaUcY TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 72

i have a Zalman cnsp 9700 that keeps it PRETTY COOL! im not to familiar with the dividers.... i found the option for my processor is that what your talking about? its default is 1 but if i set it higher it cuts my processor speeds.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.