Help on downgrading

By clee290
Oct 14, 2007
  1. Hey, I'm new at this, so can someone write like a quick guide on how to downgrade my laptop from vista to xp. I really don't want to mess up my laptop. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  2. BlameCanada

BlameCanada TS Rookie Posts: 320

Question : Do you have a Vista DVD ?

If you don`t,seriously consider dual booting.See HERE

If you do have a Vista DVD and want to replace Vista with XP,

boot to the Vista DVD then delete the Vista partition.See HERE

Then boot to the XP CD,then install.

If you don`t have a Vista DVD,and still want to blow Vista away,:dead: see HERE
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

simple, reformat and install XP. You can do a clean install or an additional install.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Might want to check that there are XP drivers for everything on that laptop. If it came with Vista there is a chance it was never intended to have XP on it, making drivers difficult to find.
  5. clee290

clee290 TS Rookie Topic Starter

If i were to dual boot, would I drivers for both xp and vista? or just vista
  6. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 595

Vista already has all the drivers it needs,if it is already installed.

XP will need to have all the drivers to run that laptop.Google your make and model.

If your dual booting you will need the Vista dvd to repair the bootloader, I`m thinking.

XP will overwrite the Vista bootloader,and XP doesn`t recognize Vista.
  7. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

good guide. Assuming you've already have vista installed, and created a blank partition for your XP (about 20gb total if you want) then you can skip all the way down to "installing XP" step.
  8. clee290

clee290 TS Rookie Topic Starter

do you mean installation DVD or recover disc?? or are they the same thing x.x
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.