Help on overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

Well i think that i will be overclocking an intel E4xxx procesor.

Im wondering how far i can overclock on probably nothing more than the stock cooler. I'll have a cool case though.

I wont be going into any extream overclocking, nothing more than 3ghz. I also need this comp to last me a nice amount of time so i wont go very far.

Im thinking of getting ddr2 1200 or something near it and clock it down to match the FSB but also try to lower the timings.

Will this cheep foxcon board suit me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186140

Edit i think probably the E4600 with a 12 mult and 2.4ghz stock.
Also i reconsidered, i might just use an aftermarket cooler, anyone know any cheep ones that arn't too loud but are still powerfull?
I hear the Arctic 7 is good.

Good luck with your choices. Only you know what your budget is. Nice decision on using a 3rd party cooler

Hmm actually on that topic, i heard that the e4500 is a good overclocker, easily capable of reaching 3.2 on stock cooling. Alot of people recommend it over getting a e6550.

With the board, i'm not sure of Foxconn boards but you can look up reviews for them online. I personally know that the Abit IP35 Off Limits and the Gigabyte P35 series are really good overclockers so if you're planning to stretch your money i'd recommend those boards.

As far as aftermarket coolers go, I'm using an ArcticCooling Freezer 7 Pro myself to cool down my Quad Core Q6600 :D Its a really good cooler but another one to consider is the Xigmatek 1283.

Good luck on your overclocking adventures :D

hellokitty[hk] said:
Im thinking of getting ddr2 1200 or something near it and clock it down to match the FSB...

Are you sure about that? Note that the Core 2 Duo E4xxx series has an 800MHz FSB. You should buy RAM that has a speed that matches your desired FSB (post-overclocking).

DDR2-1200MHz costs a lot, and won't be worth the price if you're just buying it to under-clock it.

In order to get your money's worth for the 1200MHz RAM, you're gonna have to push your CPU at least 50% to a 300MHz FSB (1200MHz quad pumped). This might not be so hard anyway considering Core 2 Duo's are very overclockable.

Just try not to buy the fastest RAM in the market with the objective of under-clocking it.

As for the cooler, all the LGA775 coolers over the past year look the same anyway...
You know, the ones with a few copper heatpipes swirling into a series of aluminum fins, which is then cooled by a vertically mounted "silent" fan.
I'm pretty sure the first innovator of the vertically-mounted CPU cooler was Zalman with the CNPS9500...if I'm not mistaken.
They're being made a lot these days.

Here are a few of the cheapest ones:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Cooler Master Hyper TX2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103031&Tpk=cooler+master+hyper

OCZ Vanquisher
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202004&Tpk=ocz+vanquisher

Scythe Katana
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185044&Tpk=scythe+katana

..and many (MANY) more...

lol
i already bought it and yes that foxxconn board does have pretty nice features!

Yeah i have the comp up and running buhind me. Easily oc to 3.0ghz with prime 95 runniing, its under 60 with the stock cooler!

I changed my mind about the ddr2 1200
instead i have my patriot 1150 running at 5-4-4-9 at 1000, same as my FSB!

thanks!

Also what do you guys think i could clock my 9600GT to?
I notice that the memory clock on the overclocked editions arn't even at 2000, i was running mine aw 2000, was that bad?!?\

Im pretty sure it was stable at 700/2000...

Help In Overclocking

Hey,
I've got an AMD 4800+ and an M2N MX SE ASUS board
I M currentlu using 2 GB Dual Channel Unbuffered DDR2 RAMs at 667 MHZ and a 500GB HDD
I wnat to get the best outta my system. I also have a Nvidia 8600GT 1GB super which performs decent. What should i do to get good performance in Crysis cos that's the only game which is giving me a hard time, not that it doesnt work or anything, but doesnt do well at visually appealing graphics. My processor currently takes about 1.35V and the FSB only shows 200 MHz. Is there any way to increase that? Plus I have disabled cool n quiet cos it limits performance for sure.

Simple Answer:
Upgrade your graphics card.

if your looking to run crysis, thats always the answer!

from an 8600GT, any 8800 or 9000 series chip will give MUCH better performance. I havn't tried it on my 9600GT yet though.

Your Procesor is fine i think. (not real good at AMD or AMD/ATI) Really what crysis requires is a super powerfull graphics card or multi GPU solution. None has really come out yet that can effectivly play crysis with all settings on highest including AA.

So... just telling you that so you dont try to run crysis that way :). anyway...dependin on how much you want to spend on just to play that one game... I would recommend for the 200-300 budget, maybe an 8800GTS, 9800GTX or possibly a 3870X2.

Is the only reason the 3870X2 weaker than Nvidia's gpu's because of crappy drivers? The core clock on the 3870X2 is extreamly high. So is the stream procesor count.

oh right getting the most out of your system im assuming means you don't want to spend money. Ok first of, im not sure if you can increase the FSB or hypertransports on an AMD system. Howerver, i know you can PHYSICALY modify the cpu chip and allow multiplier unlocking using a lead pencil to connect a couple things. Your ram i think is probably the slowest part of your system. a cheep upgrade to ddr2 800 would be nice, if you mobo supports it.

Oh just curious, does anyone know of a powerfull CPU cooler (greater than 70cfm) and not louder than ... maybe 30? and pure copper?
Theres this, i personaly don't like that big tall huge thing sticking out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102

I like this type of heatsink designs better except its not copper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106069

Thanks HK

But the answer i was looking for is to get the most without spendin anythin. I've run outta cash n i wan be stayn at my plc for a long time so its bettr to get the most outta it rather than spendin.. i got my system a long while ago n its quite primiive i know.. but its what i'll be havn until i get my xps or area 51 m-15x notebook. i really appreciate the help though. and dunno bout which heatsink wud be better cos wr i stay u don get ur hands on such stuff. i know its lame.

Well yeah thats sorta what i thought. Maybe you could oc your ram and step the timmings up a little.

most ram (ive never looked at ddr667 as i think its too slow for me) but the latencies or timings should be around 3(4 maybe)-3-3-9 or something like that. Try lowering them in your bios. The numbers there denote the amout of latency and the time between info transfers and stuff.

But whats really holding you back on crysis is your GPU.
There are some nice OC utilities out there.
Try googleing ATI tool and Rivatuner.
On rivatuner, you can increase your fans speed and monitor temps and stuff by clicking on the "custumize" button on the first tab and selecting the first picture you see.
on ATI tool, you can run artifact detection tests (those check if your OC is stable but the programming isn't perfect so keep your eye on the picture and see if you see weird stuff)
To OC, change the slider on the righthand side.
With an 8600GT, i would assume the core clock would be around 550, it would say its safe to pushe it to around 600. Since its the 1gig version i assume you have GDDR2 memory so your mem clock should be around 800/400. You (i think) could push it to maybe 900?/450??

make sure the temp stays under 80 C

Oh right just to remind you, know that any 8800 series chip or 9000 series chip could EASILY beat two 8600's though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back