Help required

By srno
Sep 16, 2009
  1. hi all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post( silly one). i am using xp sp2. suddnly yesterday i find that my all the desktop icons names appears with a blue color box. first i guess there will be some option through which i can restore the default. but i could not find any option. one of my friend told me its only because of virus. but i m using kaspersky 2009 and scan shows no virus. although it does not harming my system( i guess) but i am eager to know the reason and how to restore the default.

plz. help.

thanks in advance.
  2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

You must have changed your display settings.
    Right-click your desktop, click properties, and change properties under the 'appearance' tab.
    By the way... welcome to Techspot! :D
  3. centurymeltdown

centurymeltdown TS Rookie

I just ran CCleaner and a REGCleaner and a few other tools and it fixed itself.

I reccomend TuneUpUltilites.
  4. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

srno, please try this:

Open System in Control Panel > click Advanced tab > click Settings in the Performance section. Check the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop option > Apply > Ok.

Courtesy Softwaretipsandtricks.

And the question isn't silly at all- same thing happens to a lot of people!
    centurymeltdown, are you directing what you did as a 'fix' for the person who has the problem? I guess if you run enough programs, it MIGHT 'fix' some things- but that will depend on what the problem is and what 'a few other tools' are!
  5. srno

srno TS Rookie Topic Starter

thnks all for reply. specially Bobbye. you are right Bobbye its gone. thnks a lot again.
  6. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

You're welcome. Thanks for the update. Don't ever feel that a question might be 'silly'. As far as I see, everything has happened to someone else! All we have to do is look for the fix someone figured out!
  7. NajaNaja

NajaNaja TS Rookie

someone help here

can someone check the minidump files that i attached ... i have problems with BSOD... just help me... if u need more information i'm here :)... thx
  8. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

You need to start a new thread, in the proper forum.
    Asking another question on a different topic is only going to cause mass confusion for everybody.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.