Help with new rig suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznn3rd

I'm working on a new computer, which I expect to set me back around $800. The parts I have so far are:

Radeon 4870
Intel i5 750
Antec 300 Case

For the rest, I have a few questions:

1) I read the TechSpot P55 Mobo guide, but I'm still a little hazy on what kind of motherboard I need. It doesn't seem like there is any significant difference between high end and low end motherboards. I will most likely only need a single PCI-e slot, with the possibly of going CrossFire unlikely at this point. Also, I will probably stick with ATI, so the EVGA FTW won't be a good investment. What Mobo do you guys recommend?

2) For Memory, I plan to get 2x2GB. It seems like all the brands are at the same price point, so I don't know which to get. I was thinking Corsair, since they tend have a good reputation of being reliable.

3) I will probably get a PSU at the 500-550W range, and I'm looking for some suggestions.

5) For HDD, I want to get a 500GB drive, because I will be mainly using my 750GB external for serious storage. I will most likely get a WD, as they have an excellent warranty.

4) This one is pretty insignificant, but if there are any differences between DVD drives, I would like to know your preferences.

Thanks for the help

1) I read the TechSpot P55 Mobo guide, but I'm still a little hazy on what kind of motherboard I need. It doesn't seem like there is any significant difference between high end and low end motherboards. I will most likely only need a single PCI-e slot, with the possibly of going CrossFire unlikely at this point. Also, I will probably stick with ATI, so the EVGA FTW won't be a good investment. What Mobo do you guys recommend?
The cheaper ones.
Gigabyte's UD3 P55

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM crazy good deal.

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
I would get a 5770.

5) For HDD, I want to get a 500GB drive, because I will be mainly using my 750GB external for serious storage. I will most likely get a WD, as they have an excellent warranty.
Did you need help with that?

Why get a 500GB drive, when the price between that and a 1TB isn't much?

I think the cheapest per GB is 1.5TB right now.

Seagate owns WD right now if I'm right. Doesn't really matter, except that they designated WD as their "cheaper" brand. I currently own a WD 2TB, and 2x WD 1.5TB, mainly because they're cheaper, and I don't really care about the brand of my HDD. Or performance, since my OSes are on SSDs.

Most P55 chipset boards have roughly the same performance. The principle differences are the audio codec, accessories bundle, USB3/SATA6Gb implementation and.....bling.
I'd suggest this Gigabyte P55A-UD3P ($153 inc shipping), along with the G.Skill RAM kit that hellokitty recommended.

@Archean
Since never.
Seagate acquired Maxtor...ugh

how are the ripjaws $99? The link you gave has them at 109.

Also, if you guys recommend any particular monitors, that would be great as well. Thanks

Finally, what is the difference between a UD3 and a UD3P?

UD3 has the inferior ALC888 audio, UD3P has the ALC889 -the same codec that's used on add-in cards like Asus' SupremeFX and MSI's X-Fi.
The UD3P also has eSATA on the motherboard back panel (I/O) and 12 phase power delivery (as does the UD4, UD4P and UD5) as opposed to 6 phase on the UD3, which supposedly provides more stability under load or overclocking- whether or not this is indeed significant I can't say as no one seems to have compared the boards.

Would the superior audio codec make a discernible difference on a decent 2.1 speaker setup (Logitech z-2300)? Also, what is the difference between UD3 and USB that warrants the discount?

Not a lot of difference between the UD3 and USB3. The principle difference is that the UD3 has two SATA 6Gb connectors as well as six SATA 3Gb whereas all eight of the USB3's SATA connectors are SATA 3Gb.
The sound quality is probably subjective, and since I'm deaf I'm probably not the best one to ask regarding a comparison. I have a cochlear implant which definitely responds to the better SNR offered by the ALC889A codec i.e. I "hear" better, with significantly more clarity- although not as well as a good discrete sound card.
Here's a Googled sound codec review if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back