Help with selecting a power supply for a new system

I'm working on building my first computer system. It's been a blast and I've learned so much. To get down to it I'm stuck when it comes to the PSU. I've been researching for over three days now and I'm beginning to understand but I would appreciate any assistance. The system I am building is this:

Motherboard: ASUS M4N75TD chipset: Nforce 750a SLI
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition
GPU: x2 Geforce GTX 260 216 processor
Ram x2 2GB 240pin ddr3 sticks
HDD: standard 3.5in 7200Rpms
From an older system a dvd/cd rw drive.
x2 120mm case fans and the stock cpu fan

I nearly have the computer completed I just need to determine what kind of power supply is needed and the wattage. I already know it needs to be SLI compatible but thats about it. I've used tools online to help determine what PSU i need but they are all drastically different.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 rates 536W with a 15 percent capacitor aging

Newegg says 796W

Journy says 575W

vbutils says 609W

MSI Recommends 800W

Asus recommended 900W

Corsier Recommended 950W

So yeah... I'm unsure. Either a flat out answer or a point in the right direction for learning would be great. I understand about 12v 5v and 3v rails but not enough. I've been at this for 3 days and would just like some help.

Jason-

A Corsair 650TX should suffice for your build. However, if you want a better upgrade path and keep sufficient overclocking headroom get the 750TX.

I was reading up a little on the power requirements of 2 GTX 260s in SLI. Many of the forums I came across mentioned that without any heavy OCing a 650TX should theoretically handle 2 GTX 260s. However, that may be pushing it too much as the official requirements seem to be a lot higher. The 750TX should be the sweet spot IMO.

Thanks for the help! I used the nvidia site to help me decide. I would have preferred to use the 650tx or the 750tx but I debated and debated and decided to go with the 950tx (i know it's a jump over the 850). I found it on best buy. The price of the 850 on newegg was comparable and i actually have a best buy card while running a bit short of cash. Again thanks! You've pointed me in the right direction.

Total time to decide: 17Hours over a 6 day span of time.

750watt would give you plenty space for extra iteams with what your running, check max output of power if you want to play high end games that will be maxing out for long periods of time

Back