Help With XP & Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, im new here and not very up on the OS side of things, so I need some help.

(1) Can someone tell me what this is doing & do I need it? - Desktop.ini
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

(2) Ive installed SP2 and noticed some problems since (it may be a coincidence that in happened whe I installed sp2) but press crt-atl-del and then task manager, and it goes back to desktop (task manager doesnt open, but no messages), the same if I right click on toolbat and select task manager - nothing.

I have completed the following, incase I had adware or spyware:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html

It detected CWS.Qttasks & CWS-aff.toolband (removed these)

I then run hijackthis, but im not sure what to leave & what to fix - can someone help me, the log file is attached.

Anyway, apart from hijack this I run all the recommended programs from the other post, and still no task manager.

Any help is appreciated.
My system also runs very slow when installing software, any recommendations?

Andrew

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 8
same problem

i am having same problem but what caused myn was limewire. Limewire went crazy and then kept opening every 30 seconds so i had to delete it off my computer after that taskmanager goodbye

Any ideas on what programs i can fix with my attached file using hijackthis?
Will it even resolve my issue?

Apart from that any one have ideas.

thanx

F:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
Put HijackThis in e.g. C:\Program Files\HJT and NOT in Temp or on the Desktop!.

First Read: Only use these HJT-instructions when asked!
/P/ Process needs to be stopped
/U/ UNinstall anything to do with this
/R/ unRegister the xxx.DLL in that line
Transfer the text from between these dotted lines underneath to between the dotted lines of that post.
Make sure to follow ALL instructions in SEQUENCE, and in HiJackThis tick/fix ALL lines indicated here!
...................................................................................................
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.ukttzvsdieccwivfyoc.us/i...CANFK5wJ8jxLzyUzht4Y3t/CD4BhjJMi0S0khEVH.html
/R/U/ O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - F:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\1.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL
/R/U/ O2 - BHO: myBar BHO - {0494D0D1-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - F:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL
/R/ O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - F:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: My &Web Search - {07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - F:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: My &Search Bar - {0494D0D9-F8E0-41ad-92A3-14154ECE70AC} - F:\Program Files\MyWay\myBar\1.bin\MYBAR.DLL
/P/U/ O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WT GameChannel] F:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\GameChannel.exe
/P/ O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] F:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe
/P/U/ O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "F:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] F:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\bar\1.bin\mwsoemon.exe
/P/U/ O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RETimer] F:\Program Files\Rank Exec\RETimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MessengerPlus3] "F:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe" /WinStart
O4 - Startup: RETimer.lnk = F:\Program Files\Rank Exec\RETimer.exe
/R/ O12 - Plugin for .UVR: F:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPUPano.dll
...................................................................................................

STOP using that crappy IE (other than for Windows-updates) and install Firefox from www.getfirefox.com

Thank you for your help.
However i followed the instructions applied fix to the list you provided, but nothing has changed.

System still takes ages to boot up and Task Manager still doesnt work?

Any other ideas I can try?

thank you

We only give advise in this forum for how to get rid of infections.

But your best bet is to get rid of that total piece of crap bloatware Norton/Symantec.
Get the free AVG Antivirus and Sygate Personal Firewall instead.

I had the same problem, i.e. taskmgr wouldn't open by Ctrl+Alt+Del, and got the same error when using run and noticed my computer was a lot slower than normal and my battery was lasting a shorter time, and msconfig wouldn't run either!

[CENTER]Solution[/CENTER]
Try going into C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\ and in the folder there should be a task manager icon which opened the manager for me.
Interestingly, my CPU usage is contantly 100%, 98% of which is winupdates.exe. Ending winupdates.exe immediately gave me control of task manager via Ctrl+Alt+Del and immediately ending the process my CPU's fan went down 2 levels.

It must be something to do with SP2. If you do still have access to msconfig in the run command just go into the startup tab and deselect winupdates.exe and reboot. That may solve your problem. But terminating winupdates.exe and then going into msconfig worked for me.

Hope that helps,

Kyle.
(kyle.strachan@blueyonder.co.uk)

winupdates.exe

This is at least the third copy of this post I've read. It will help everybody if you just put a link to the original post.

winupdates.exe needs removing it was installed Gaobot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back