Hi guys, have just built new 'puter but having errors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I apologise if this is a basic question, I've tinkered around in computers before but this is my first attempt at building from scratch.

I'm assembled everything and turned it on and I get a beep going up and down an octave, followed by a fast high-pitched beeping, then I get the following message:

Award Bootblock BIOS V1.0
Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc

BIOS ROM checksum error
Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Detecting floppy drive A media...
Drive A error. System halt

I've tried clearing the ROM BIOS with the CMOS data jumper, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(It's a new a: drive so I can't see why the floppy would be having a problem, and I have a keyboard connected via USB)

You need to connect a keyboard to the regular keyboard plug, go into the BIOS and enable USB keyboard support. You may have the floppy cable connected backward.

You also need to either attach a floppy drive or disable the floppy in the BIOS - the system halt error relates to a lack of a floppy.

CMOS ROM checksum error

i have the same problem as novice but another
problem is i cant access the setup of my bios....
because the system is halted.

Exactly what is your's doing? Make sure floppy is connected correctly and keyboard is connected. USB will usually not work until drivers are loaded into windows unless your motherboard will enable USB in bios - some will some won't. Same goes for USB mouse. Look at tarkus's post on beep codes and figure what code the bios is giving you.

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Check that floppy drive cable is connected the right way. If the drive led stays lit all the time, the cable probably plugged the wrong way round.

To help clarify the floppy cable issue, the floppy cable has three plugs on it. One plugs into the motherboard. The other two are closer together toward the other end. Look at it closely and you will see that the cable has a split in it between the closer plugs and the cable crosses over on itself changing where the cable pins go on one of the plugs. I beleive the crossed over plug goes into the 3.5 floppy drive. The other one would go into on old 5.25 floppy drive of day gone by.

im sure that i plugged the cable right...
i remembered that my motherboard dont autodetect my floppy drive... and have to configure it b4 using......

and i realy cant access anything attached on my motherboard, except the pci drive where i put my video card

also the drive led is not lit....

so if novicenikki is still up there please email me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back