TechSpot

High Frequency Sound sound coming from PC

By IBN
Jan 27, 2010
  1. Whenever I'm watching a vid or playing a game from time to time I hear this high frequency sound coming from my PC and the vid or game starts to move like in slow motion for a while then it's back to normal again until it happens another time.

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,950   +731

I'd probably be looking at an RMA for the graphics card if the noise is coming from there. A lot of nVidia cards produce coil whine as what amounts to a standard feature, but in this case it's more likely that voltage regulation circuitry producing audible vibrations during routine operation is indicative of an impending capacitance fail state due to microscopic shorts and/or trace breaks.
    If the noise is emanating from the PSU then replace it ASAP- no good can come of keeping a faulty power supply hooked up to the system.

3. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 625

I know it's not the graphics card because I've recently changed the graphics card and I'm having the same issue.

4. fw2004

fw2004 TS Enthusiast Posts: 203

Could be the same issue on the MOBO. There are several switching regulators that use the same type of coil, which might cause the whine.
    I had this on a Dell mobo a long time ago, and Dell eventually sent me a new mobo.

FW

5. tweakboy

tweakboy TS Maniac Posts: 518

Yes, its your PSU fan or another fan in your rig, probably GPU fan,,, slow it down...

6. IBN

IBN TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 625

It definitely isn't my graphics card because I've changed my graphics card and I'm still having this issue.

It seems to happen more often when the computer gets heated up i.e. when the computer has been on for a few hours.

7. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

I think DBZ's analysis is accurate and with reasons; + fw's comments. Also if you have some hardware monitoring software running on your computer it will give you a definitive idea with regard to motherbaord's temperatures.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.