Highest it can go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildgene789

Hey guy just wondering i have the AMD x3 black edition with 2.4ghz and i was wondering how many ghz do you think i can get it up to without blowing it up?

deponds on your cooling system, power management and load applied {3d game}
there is more to OC the just having a processor

Hi Gene,
I can tell the way you phrased the question that it would be time well spent for you to first read up on overclocking, what it is,how to do it, and what the risks are. Here is a good article on Amd OC ,architecture, and 'theory' if you will. it always pays to educate yourself before making any changes to your hardware.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/102

Good luck:)

Very true if you overclock but power managment cannot control the fan speed so to say equally it becomes costly.
I am a Overclocker myself and i can say that to do it feels good.
One example is the video card will it overclock? like in the Crossfire configuration?
ATI crossfire will yes

Hope i helped

thanks guy for your help ima take a look at that link and if this helps heres my comp. the case it really good i cooling but yea you tell me if you think its ok

Thermaltake Armor+ MX Mid-T Case Blk w/230 mm Fan
ULTRA LS600 600W ATX POWER SUPPLY
XFX nForce 750a SLI Socket AM2+ Motherboard
AMD Phenom X3 8750 Black Edition 2400Mhz 3.5MB
Corsair 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB)
WD Caviar 250GB SATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked Video Card

You want onboard Video and but a video card as well??
XFX nForce 750a SLI Socket AM2+ Motherboard
Onboard GeForce 8200 graphics
HDCP Ready
HDMI Certified
Up to 256 MB DDR2 Memory it will use system memory i am sure of it

Personally I build gaming PC and prefer intel and ATI crossfire
But I wanted to give you some AMD options since you picked them. this will bee about 300 extra if you went with it but you would be happy I am sure ;)

Thermaltake Armor+ MX Mid-T Case Blk w/230 mm Fan I LOVE THIS CASE

Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply

ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
AMD 790FX/SB750, Quad PCIe x16, Ideal OC platform
2x Winner of Customer Choice Award - AMD Motherboards

4870X2PE52G Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB Crossfire

AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad-Core Black Box Edition

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

Hope you like my idea

I think he's already got the PC Blk ;)

In order to overclock, you should really learn how to do it first, not get others to help you with it. It can be a complicated process, and it can damage your hardware, so it's best if you do it yourself.

Dont expect high oc's with that cpu, not to mention you have to take into consideration the motherboard you're using.

Yeah, AMD CPUs don't overclock very far at all, even the ones that are sold with an unlocked multiplier. If you really want to overclock, most Intel CPUs can overclock ridiculously.

thank you guys but before i even try to overclock im going to get a new fan because i checked my system temp and i thought my system was good at cool but i guess not. lemme give you the specs with SpeedFan.

GPU:58C (was 70c last night)
System:23C
CPU:55C
AUX:48C
HD:28C
Core:31C

All those temps are quite normal except the CPU temp. That's very hot for a CPU to be running idle... I agree that you should get a new cooler before you overclock. There are lots of good ones but I personally favor Zalman coolers, particularly the CNPS9500/9700 series, which I have used in several builds.

well whats the best one for 40 or under lol im blowing all my money on the 9800GTX+ lets remember im only 17 and poor haha

It's almost silent. I have that same cooler, except I have the version with the glowing fan (CNPS 9500 LED, instead of just CNPS 9500) and mine's nearly silent. It comes with a little controller to control the fan speed, and if you set it to lowest, it keeps the CPU very cool with almost no noise at all. I see no need to increase it beyond the lowest speed setting.

Alright thanks i just wanted to make sure because it only said am2 i didnt see the + and i think thats what i have. so i guess thats the one ill get

The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a better alternative to the Zalman, but larger. It can be had for cheaper though, and delivers better cooling performance without much increase in noise levels.

wait i just looked again and it doesnt even say am2

Compatible with a Socket 775 platform, the Zalman Pro works flawlessly with Intel’s Dual Core Pentium, Pentium 4, and Celeron D systems. For ultra-cool protection and aggressive styling, the Zalman CPU Cooler is the way to go.

Hi again Gene,
I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud here, but im gonna anyway:D. please check out your temps again with a different temp monitor program. the reason i say that is because it has been very common for folks on here to report that speedfan is 10-15c below any of the rest of the programs out there, especially under load, and if your going OC,that 10-15 can be crucial. try this one.http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php. there is also CoreTemp and RealTemp. just a suggestion.

good luck

Metalx what would u say about that?

There's an article on tom's hardware about low budget coolers, in which the ximatek won that battle. The only problem I have with it is that the bottom isnt completely flush because of the heat pipes merging into the heatsink. I like my heatsinks like Rugby, full contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back