Highest Temperature You've Run a Processor without PC crashing.

Obi-Wan Jerkobi

What is the highest temperatiure you have run a prcessor (say if the fan was loose) and was still stable? I've ran a Pentium 4 Northwood at 215*F :evil: because the stupid stock fan lost a clip so only half of the heatsink was touching the CPU(connected by a string of thermal paste). I didn't even notice it was overheating, ran fine. (But in that case ther's 4 case fans. 2 at the front. 1 in a harddrive bay. One at the back. It was really loud.)

I've hit 75C and maintained it for a couple hours (guessing) on my Intel Core Duo Mac Mini during playback of a 720p movie.

I've ran Intel TAT on my C2D in a Vista box and been at 68-70C with regular tasks still performing normally.

I can hit and maintain 63C on my 1.67Ghz G4 on my Powerbook by playing back 720p video (suprised it can even play that, but it can).

I guess thats all I've got. I'd routienly hit mid 60s on my Athlon Thunderbird, but thats nothing considering those things could take up to 100C.

Must just be codec differences for why my G4 can play a 720p and my G4 can also play them, despite being a much weaker processor. I guess dedicated vs onboard video probably plays a significant role in that too.

78C as reported by coretemp on my e4300 @ 3.0ghz 1.4v during orthos small fft max stress. Cpu didn't seem to mind as it could pass more than 12hrs w/o issue, but I kind of question the temperature as the heatsink didn't even feel hot. Yes, the heatsink was on correctly. :)

Side note: The max temp I've reached on a gpu was 100C before it started glitching. This was on a passively cooled geforce 6200 unlocked to a 6600 and overclocked. Even that didn't kill it, still works. :haha:

About 82C (180F), see details here.

Now that I think of it, maybe my old Cyrix 6x86-P166+ ran hotter, I remember burning my fingers when I touched the heatsink.

Back