Hitman: Absolution Benchmarked, Tested

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/608-hitman-absolution-performance-benchmarks/]https://www.techspot.com/review/608-hitman-absolution-performance-benchmarks/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Thanks for the article. Really good to see those cheaper AMD GPU's kill even the best Nvidia (purely from a pricing/value perspective).
Request - could you guys maybe add some more popular CPU's to your CPU performance charts? I think the majority of people choose the i5-3570k over the i7-3770k for their gaming rigs - just as an example.

Is it me or lot of game these days don't actually look very different when you set something to medium details or very high. That was present for me in almost all Source games,Far Cry 2,Call of duty games...

Thanks for the article. Really good to see those cheaper AMD GPU's kill even the best Nvidia (purely from a pricing/value perspective).
Request - could you guys maybe add some more popular CPU's to your CPU performance charts? I think the majority of people choose the i5-3570k over the i7-3770k for their gaming rigs - just as an example.

Thanks for the feedback Mr Awesome. I would really like to include more CPU's and will do my best to get some more Intel processors. As it happens I agree about the i5-3570k and will be buying one next week. That said in case of this review the i5-3470 averaged 58fps and the Core i7-3770K 61fps so there won't be much difference with the i5-3570k.

My favorite character way back in 2001. I played agent 47 on my friend's pentium III 550mhz computer.
fast forward today, sandy/ivy bridge processors or amd fx.

judging from the screen shots, the visuals are stunning.
thanks for the review.

(and since it's almost year-end, any chance of raffling excess baggage, I.e. any video card from tests? :) )

This game with so many DX11 features, truly exposes the fact that even the latest generation of GPUs ( 600/7000 ) aren't fully capable yet. These are completely capable for DX9 games, like Skyrim on Ultra even with 8xMSAA, but not DX11 ( 1080p of course ).

All these shiny features and tesselation... GPU brands know what they're doing. They always increase the horsepower steadily to keep flowing GPUs. After -at least- 2 more generations, they will be DX11-ready.

Meanwhile, currently the graphics are more than fine. I'd prefer the focus to be on AI.

Incidentally, it seems AMD took the lead for good, almost on all games; but 7000 series has a serious bug on DX9 games, which might be Hardware Problem. It exists since the cards had been released, and still no fix. Also, AMD's bad economical situation, makes a possible recall impossible. If you have a 7000 series card for months, send it back with the excuse "flickering black artifacts on DX9 games" and you'll get a brand new. You'll still have the problem, but... At least you'll have a new, shiny card with latest BIOS. I just did it; and I'll keep doing it as long as this bug exists. After 1-2 months, again.

Turn global Illumination off and u gain at least 20+ FPS, I mean I finished this game on an old dual core (E8400) and a GTS450 for crying out loud (average fps was 45 @1080p)...

I sold my gaming rig a few days ago (I'm movng out blah blah) so for the time being my work laptop is my gaming rig, Core i5 Sandy Bridge, 8GB of RAM, the HD3000 graphics actually runs Skyrim, Dishonored and pretty much anything I throw at it, although they all run at Low to medium graphics at 720p I wonder if it could run this at low?

another point I've noticed, modern games (skyrim as a very good example) look slightly worse on console (Xbox 360 in particular) than what my core i5 is producing! it astounds me how far graphics power has come in 7 years or so!

I don't like it when games are CPU dependent. that means I have to upgrade the whole CPU/motherboard. it's not like I can just pop in another graphics card.

Like Metro, Absolution is hugely demanding on hardware....AMD's uber 7900s are doing great :)

Yet another demanding DX11 game that runs worse on GTX680 and trails by 23-25% too. GTX670/680 are barely faster than GTX580. I wonder how much of that is related to NV's driver issues?

HD7970 Ghz is beating GTX680 in so many demanding titles, the # of wins for 680 can be counted on 1 hand. Looking forward to NV bringing out the big guns with GTX780 :). GTX680 was the worst generational upgrade from their previous flagship in history of the firm.

I wonder how much of that is related to NV's driver issues?
Given that Hitman Absolution is a new release AMD Gaming Evolved title, and the game only popped up in release notes for the 310.33 beta driver 12 days ago, I'd guess that there is at least some room for improvement
HD7970 Ghz is beating GTX680 in so many demanding titles, the # of wins for 680 can be counted on 1 hand.
Cool. Wondered when you'd get around to posting flame/troll bait.
Hardly surprising since the HD 7970GE is the stronger SKU, add in the spate of Gaming Evolved titles recently released (Hitman Absolution, MoH:Warfighter, Sleeping Dogs, Sniper Elite V2, DiRT Showdown) and I'm not overly surprised- and nor would any other enthusiast that follows graphics.
Just for the record, of a quick count of recent games/AAA titles, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, Dragon Age II, Hard Reset, BF3 multiplayer, CoD:MW3, Total War: Shogun 2 (since the latest patch), and WoW: Mists of Pandaria -8 titles- favour the GTX 680 over the HD 7970GE. Polydactyly makes counting the titles on one hand an inexact science I guess

Now a days heavyweight games are starting to use lots of v-ram for high texture usage and other ultra graphical details......eg- graphically intense games as sleeping dogs uses 1919 mb of vram @ 1080p maxed.....absolution 1606 MB @ 1080p maxed.....war fighter uses 1455 MB vram @ 1080p maxed ,etc

....these games and future types oncoming are bandwidth hungry games.....on that gtx 680 and 670 with 2 GB 256 bit are showing their crippling side-effect from now-on,,,,,these side effects are--low relative fps and micro stuttering....

Galaxy 68NQH6DN6DXZ Ge Force GTX 680 GC 4GB 256-bit is 560$
......jeeesss how much more they will suck from their blind fans....

....just 2 to 4 gb increase and take 80$ more for that....haaaa nvi what damn tool are you made of...

This game with so many DX11 features, truly exposes the fact that even the latest generation of GPUs ( 600/7000 ) aren't fully capable yet. These are completely capable for DX9 games, like Skyrim on Ultra even with 8xMSAA, but not DX11 ( 1080p of course ).

All these shiny features and tesselation... GPU brands know what they're doing. They always increase the horsepower steadily to keep flowing GPUs. After -at least- 2 more generations, they will be DX11-ready.

Meanwhile, currently the graphics are more than fine. I'd prefer the focus to be on AI.

Incidentally, it seems AMD took the lead for good, almost on all games; but 7000 series has a serious bug on DX9 games, which might be Hardware Problem. It exists since the cards had been released, and still no fix. Also, AMD's bad economical situation, makes a possible recall impossible. If you have a 7000 series card for months, send it back with the excuse "flickering black artifacts on DX9 games" and you'll get a brand new. You'll still have the problem, but... At least you'll have a new, shiny card with latest BIOS. I just did it; and I'll keep doing it as long as this bug exists. After 1-2 months, again.
I sincerely hope no one takes your 'advice'. Stop being such a cheap-***.

"Just for the record, of a quick count of recent games/AAA titles, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, Dragon Age II, Hard Reset, BF3 multiplayer, CoD:MW3, Total War: Shogun 2 (since the latest patch), and WoW: Mists of Pandaria -8 titles- favour the GTX 680 over the HD 7970GE."

GTX680 lost its advantage in BF3 for a while now. Your information is outdated. They are roughly equal in multiplayer and many websites show HD7970 Ghz faster in single-player.

Here is multiplayer:

"The HD 7970, GTX 680 and GTX 670 were all able to perform at 2560X1600 with FXAA High enabled. From a raw performance perspective, the HD 7970 was faster than the two NVIDIA cards, but not to the extent that it was noticeable within game play."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/12/fall_2012_gpu_driver_comparison_roundup/4

COD:MW3? A console port that can be maxed out on a GTX560Ti, no one cares. If you want to bring up COD, at least bring up Black Ops 2 as it's probably the latest title COD fans are playing on the PC. It's pretty obvious that the frames are so ridiculously high with flagship cards in COD games, it makes no difference to playability. No point in discussing irrelevant performance difference in COD games.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/26/call_duty_black_ops_ii_performance_iq_review/4

Same for WOW that you mentioned (5 fps difference above 100 fps) and less than 2 fps at 1600P. Again, irrelevant as this game's performance will vary by more than that based on the CPU rather than HD7970 Ghz vs. GTX680's choice.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost/23.html

Borderlands 2 can be maxed out on a GTX660Ti. So the only way NV has an advantage there is through PhysX. Hard Reset - again not GPU demanding to make a playability difference, but I'll give you that one. That means from your list there are only 5 games and in some of them the difference won't be felt. Of course there are more than 5 games where NV is winning among 1000 games in the world. My statement is more to say that in the most GPU demanding and latest titles, you can count on 1 hand significant wins by NV. Assassin's Creed 3 will run faster on NV cards.

Ironically, where the extra power really helps more often happens to be AMD cards are leading in the majority of cases. That's not in games like Hard Reset where you get 80+ fps already or WOW where you are above 100 fps:

- Crysis games
- Medal of Honor
- Arma games
- Alan wake games
- Hitman
- Sleeping Dogs
- Dirt Showdown
- Anno 2070
- Metro 2033
- Witcher 2 enhanced edition
- Skyrim with ENB mods

When GTX680 behind in the most GPU demanding titles, it's often losing by 20-30%. In the games you listed when GTX680 is winning, it's doing so by 10-15%.

NV's cards above $300 are currently overpriced. A $360-370 1Ghz HD7970 delivers GTX680 level of performance, HD7970 Ghz after-market cards like Asus Matrix are faster than any 680 and GTX670 is getting destroyed in price/performance by after-market HD7950 cards. $280 HD7950 925-950mhz cards are 10% slower than GTX680 for way less $$:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost/28.html

Contrary to you already painting me an AMD fanboy, I really don't have an allegiance to either brand. I just find it amusing how NV buyers always defend their purchases but I rarely see the same from people who buy AMD cards from time to time. Typical NV buyers will buy NV generation after generation no matter what. These type of gamers are easy to spot since instead of criticizing NV from dropping the ball this generation and not giving us the real GTX680, they defend the brand and won't acknowledge that NV went from having a 20% lead with GTX280/480/580 against HD4870/5870/6970 to losing the single-GPU performance crown, while charging MORE for their slower product. The real NV never showed up this round.

You are right on the money ,blue falcon....very constructive argument

.....even the demanding games you listed, even a 7950 boost beats a gtx 680,which costs 120$ more --such as crisis warhead, medal of honour, alan wake, hitman absolution , sleeping dogs, dirt showdown, witcher 2 and TES 5: sky-rim among your list of games.......

you can find it on tech spot or other rev sites as kotaku.com.au

for example: just saw skyrim bench on kotaku :

@ 2560*1600, ultra, 8xmsaa, 16af maxed out ...avg fps is 7970 GHz=78, 7970=70,
7950 boost=66,
680=64,
670=61....

..........(NV sucks the money of their blind fans too hard....)

I just managed 25fps@1920x1080@Ultra@4xAA/16xAF(FXAA off),
my PC: i5-750, 32GB RAM, GTX560Ti,

so im on par with 3770+gtx660ti? nice...

"Just for the record, of a quick count of recent games/AAA titles, Borderlands 2, Max Payne 3, Dragon Age II, Hard Reset, BF3 multiplayer, CoD:MW3, Total War: Shogun 2 (since the latest patch), and WoW: Mists of Pandaria -8 titles- favour the GTX 680 over the HD 7970GE."

GTX680 lost its advantage in BF3 for a while now. Your information is outdated. They are roughly equal in multiplayer and many websites show HD7970 Ghz faster in single-player.

Here is multiplayer:

"The HD 7970, GTX 680 and GTX 670 were all able to perform at 2560X1600 with FXAA High enabled. From a raw performance perspective, the HD 7970 was faster than the two NVIDIA cards, but not to the extent that it was noticeable within game play."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/12/fall_2012_gpu_driver_comparison_roundup/4

COD:MW3? A console port that can be maxed out on a GTX560Ti, no one cares. If you want to bring up COD, at least bring up Black Ops 2 as it's probably the latest title COD fans are playing on the PC. It's pretty obvious that the frames are so ridiculously high with flagship cards in COD games, it makes no difference to playability. No point in discussing irrelevant performance difference in COD games.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/26/call_duty_black_ops_ii_performance_iq_review/4

Same for WOW that you mentioned (5 fps difference above 100 fps) and less than 2 fps at 1600P. Again, irrelevant as this game's performance will vary by more than that based on the CPU rather than HD7970 Ghz vs. GTX680's choice.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost/23.html

Borderlands 2 can be maxed out on a GTX660Ti. So the only way NV has an advantage there is through PhysX. Hard Reset - again not GPU demanding to make a playability difference, but I'll give you that one. That means from your list there are only 5 games and in some of them the difference won't be felt. Of course there are more than 5 games where NV is winning among 1000 games in the world. My statement is more to say that in the most GPU demanding and latest titles, you can count on 1 hand significant wins by NV. Assassin's Creed 3 will run faster on NV cards.

Ironically, where the extra power really helps more often happens to be AMD cards are leading in the majority of cases. That's not in games like Hard Reset where you get 80+ fps already or WOW where you are above 100 fps:

- Crysis games
- Medal of Honor
- Arma games
- Alan wake games
- Hitman
- Sleeping Dogs
- Dirt Showdown
- Anno 2070
- Metro 2033
- Witcher 2 enhanced edition
- Skyrim with ENB mods

When GTX680 behind in the most GPU demanding titles, it's often losing by 20-30%. In the games you listed when GTX680 is winning, it's doing so by 10-15%.

NV's cards above $300 are currently overpriced. A $360-370 1Ghz HD7970 delivers GTX680 level of performance, HD7970 Ghz after-market cards like Asus Matrix are faster than any 680 and GTX670 is getting destroyed in price/performance by after-market HD7950 cards. $280 HD7950 925-950mhz cards are 10% slower than GTX680 for way less $$:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost/28.html

Contrary to you already painting me an AMD fanboy, I really don't have an allegiance to either brand. I just find it amusing how NV buyers always defend their purchases but I rarely see the same from people who buy AMD cards from time to time. Typical NV buyers will buy NV generation after generation no matter what. These type of gamers are easy to spot since instead of criticizing NV from dropping the ball this generation and not giving us the real GTX680, they defend the brand and won't acknowledge that NV went from having a 20% lead with GTX280/480/580 against HD4870/5870/6970 to losing the single-GPU performance crown, while charging MORE for their slower product. The real NV never showed up this round.

Wow great reply and I agree 100%.

Back