TechSpot

HKDRV driver is absent

By Tylara
Oct 12, 2004
  1. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Recentely after booting I received the error message "HKDRV driver is absent". Since then my game stopped working because the sound wouldn't work and I can't play music. I tried reinstalling the sound driver and other drivers and that didn't help. Later I reformatted the hard drive which worked but less than a week later the same error message is back with the same problem. Where do I get this driver? I have checked several driver web sites and none have heard of this driver, neither has microsoft. Any suggestions?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Welcome to TechSpot

From what I have gathered, that is the driver for your CD or DVD-rom. You could try and do a repair using the Recoveryconsole, or if you have XP, do a reinstall-in-place, or do a Restore back to the point when it was still working.
    Backup your data first.
    Alternatively, ask a friend with a similar laptop, to email you that file (with instructions where he found it, probably windows\system32).
    Boot into safe mode and put it back where it belongs.

3. corskey

corskey TS Rookie

Tylara,

did you succeed in solving this - if U did, any chance of letting me know how

cheers

Corskey

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.