TechSpot

Honda teases an airbag for your smartphone but the idea isn't that far-fetched

By Shawn Knight
Dec 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Smartphones (and the cases that protect them) have come a long way over the past several years but even so, a single unfortunate drop, even with a hefty case in place, can result in a cracked screen or worse. But...

Read more

2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,908   +716

Airbag? Interesting idea. How long before Apple claim patent infringement of their Windbag attached devices?

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

I like the ski-jump and pocket flip tests. Didn't understand a word of it, except "smartophone", but it was cute. The airbag is a peculiar contraption. But if Nissan can make self-healing cases, then go for it Honda, and make air bar cases to protect phones!

4. Seems like making plastic screens that feel like glass would be much simpler. I'm sure it is already possible, but why would phone companies invest in an idea that will make them lose money? Obviously broken phones need replacing or repairing. Selling an indestructible product is not good for business.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,115   +1,523

In this case, selling a self-destructible device is a good idea.

Forg0t2 likes this.
  6. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 114   +14

I can see the real nerds tinker with its software to make it go boom in pockets and swell up everyones pants,....

7. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 449   +81

Lmao the pic of him and his cat on the cracked screen. This is hilarious

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.