Hori intros PS3 dock with LCD and speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you've been looking for a quick and easy way to make the PlayStation 3 a portable machine, gaming accessory maker Hori has you covered. The company is preparing to launch the HP3-87, an add-on that wraps around your PS3 Slim and dons an 11.6-inch notebook-style display which features a 1366x768 display resolution, LED backlighting, a 200 nit brightness, 500:1 contrast, and 7ms response time.

The experience wouldn't be complete without sound, and the HP3-87 has built-in stereo speakers along with twin earphone jacks. Other connectivity is limited to a set of component and composite inputs, and it's compatible with Sony's Torne TV tuner and DVR for the PS3. Although the dock is supposed to free you from your big-screen HDTV, it does bulk up the Slim, which could make it annoying to lug around.

Hori's HP3-87 is set to appear in Japan on May 27 with a retail price of 26,040 yen (about $276). The company hasn't mentioned anything about availability in other locations.

Permalink to story.

I bought the one for PS2, dang screen was way too small to really enjoy. Sure its useful if you can't lug an TV around, but you'll be squinting trying to read the words, and don't even think about 2 player games.

lchu12 said:
I bought the one for PS2, dang screen was way too small to really enjoy. Sure its useful if you can't lug an TV around, but you'll be squinting trying to read the words, and don't even think about 2 player games.
Oh man I played 4 player Splinter Cell on a little 15" POS LCD TV several years ago while on vacation.

I'm not seeing the value here... Seems way too expensive. If you can't wait till you get home to play ps3, you may have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back