Horribly unstable internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think something is wrong with my computer. The router and modem for our wireless is in a horrible spot, on the floor of the lowest level of the house, but I cant exactly move it.

My computer is in my bedroom, basically right above the router, and my internet is constantly cutting out. I've tried switch the wireless card with the family computer thinking it may just be a shitty card, but the family computer works fine and I'm still having issues. I've even had a friend bring his laptop over, sit right next to me, and have a nearly flawless connection. When I'm playing games such as WoW, my latency is very commonly 5,000 to 12,000 ms. Its getting kinda tiring, are there any ways I could fix this?

(also, tho it may have absolutely Nothing to do with it, my internet is at its worst on really windy days without fail, its only on windy days that Ill have trouble even connecting or getting a signal, is that just me being weird or is there some connection between the two?)

I've even had a friend bring his laptop over, sit right next to me, and have a nearly flawless connection.
This a fault with your computer

You will need to run the basics first

CCleaner
Network Reset
IE Reset
Virus\Malware Scan
And confirm all system drivers are up to date
Also confirm all Windows Security updates have been completed

Sometimes, it is due to background programs running, even high memory intense programs such as Norton Antiirus
Have a look at Startup Control Panel to remove any unwanted startups

Please reply with the results from doing this

to andy

no, not at all

like i said, the only thing between me and the router is my bedroom floor. and everyone else gets a fine connection in here

its not just my router either, anywhere i take my pc i have this issue

kimsland
is iereset necessary? I use firefox 3 exclusively

First approach for reliability is to update the firmware of the Modem, router and all of your driver(s)/wifi devices.

Windy days can cause a problem if you are on cable or even DSL that is coming off a pole to your house. There could be a bad connection on the main connection on the wire at the pole, or where it comes into your house. We had a problem where temperature changes were affecting our signal and they had to swap out a part down the street from our house. If you have no trouble except on windy days, then I would contact your service provider and file a problem report. At the location where I run my business as well, the cable recently had a problem where there was a loose connection up on the box on the cable companies wires. When the wind would blow or during times of heavy usage of the internet, (right after school got out and until around 8pm) the network would go up and down.

oh and when you cut out on windy days, have you noticed if your modem goes down. You say the other systems work fine. Can you consistently connect on those computers even on windy days?

Sorry, I didn't read your initial post carefully. I missed the part about your friend's laptop making a strong connection (too much caffeine today!)

Anyhow, this means there is something wrong on your computer. I disagree with Jeff(jobeard), there's nothing wrong with the firmware on the modem & router as other computers are making strong, reliable connections. The problem is clearly confined to your computer.

I'd suggest checking for spyware. The 3 antipsyware utilities I recommend are (you can find each in the Download section at this site):

• AVG 8
  • Ad-Aware 2008
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

The download section also has update files for each so you have the lastest before running a scan. Repost when done and we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

so far I've done the network reset that kimsland suggested (still sintallign software)

and my speed defiantly shot up from 5.5- 11 mbps to 24-36

but the signal strength is still low to very low

Sorry, I didn't read your initial post carefully. I missed the part about your friend's laptop making a strong connection (too much caffeine today!)

Anyhow, this means there is something wrong on your computer. I disagree with Jeff(jobeard), there's nothing wrong with the firmware on the modem & router as other computers are making strong, reliable connections. The problem is clearly confined to your computer.

I'd suggest checking for spyware. The 3 antipsyware utilities I recommend are (you can find each in the Download section at this site):

• AVG 8
  • Ad-Aware 2008
  • Spybot Search & Destroy

The download section also has update files for each so you have the lastest before running a scan. Repost when done and we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

Im currently installing avg, comodo firewall, and running ccleaner, i finished doing the IE rest

so far I've done the network reset that kimsland suggested (still sintallign software)

and my speed defiantly shot up from 5.5- 11 mbps to 24-36

but the signal strength is still low to very low

scratch that, its back down to 1-2 mbps

I advise against AVG and to continue what I have mentioned above

Note: I also advise against Ad-Aware and Spybots S&D

Do not install the firewall. You don't need one anyway as almost all routers have a built in hardwired firewall. Plus, it just one more item that can get in the way.

Let me know when you're finished with the 3 anti-spyware utilities and we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

Note: I also advise against Ad-Aware and Spybots S&D

Avg was on the list of virus/malware scans you linked to.

everything i have is up to date, i dont have any unwanted startups either, the only ones i have are xfire and steam

I disagree with Jeff(jobeard), there's nothing wrong with the firmware on the modem & router as other computers are making strong, reliable connections. The problem is clearly confined to your computer.
conclusion is very likely to be true. As most boxes ship with downlevel firmware, I like to bring the equipment up-to-date to remove all known issues :)

here are the results of cc cleaner

CLEANING COMPLETE - (1.589 secs)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.46MB removed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemcore.log 828 bytes
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemess.log 388 bytes
Removed Cookie: search.conduit.com
Removed Cookie: www.techspot.com
Removed Cookie: com.com
Removed Cookie: intellitxt.com
Removed Cookie: quantserve.com
Removed Cookie: techspot.com
Removed Cookie: google.com
Removed Cookie: doubleclick.net
Removed Cookie: apmebf.com
Removed Cookie: mediaplex.com
Removed Cookie: atdmt.com
Removed Cookie: brandreachsys.com
Removed Cookie: promos.fling.com
C:\Documents and Settings\Nicodemus\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9a0ko4ra.default\downloads.sqlite 2.00KB
Firefox/Mozilla Temporary Internet Cache (80 files) 5.46MB

it didnt find any registry errors, Im just about to restart my computer for when i did the network reset

So far so good

Keep going :grinthumb

Please note, this statement is incorrect:
And do not install the two Spyware programs this member has stated:
Do not install the firewall. You don't need one anyway as almost all routers have a built in hardwired firewall. Plus, it just one more item that can get in the way.

Let me know when you're finished with the 2 anti-spyware utilities and we'll take it from there.

Best,
-- Andy

Avg was on the list of virus/malware scans you linked to.

LOL!! Beautiful!!

-- Andy

Of the 3 anti-spyware I recommended, Spybot Search & Destroy is the most likely to find/remove offending spyware that can cause this type of problem. I had this many times when I worked at Dell support.

Best,
-- Andy

ok, i ran cc cleaner, it got rid of my cookies, and all that good ****

reset IE

updated drivers

reset the network and my computer

i cant get updates from windows because i recently had to format my entire harddrive and was given xp professional, but i dont have any of the useless extra crap that acer installed on my computer

is there anything else i should do?

... is there anything else i should do?

Run Spybot Search & Destroy if your Internet is still slow. If this is due to offending spyware, Spybot is the one that is best at detecting/removing it. You can find Spybot in the Download section at this site.

Best,
-- Andy

Run Spybot Search & Destroy if your Internet is still slow. If this is due to offending spyware, Spybot is the one that is best at detecting/removing it. You can find Spybot in the Download section at this site.

Best,
-- Andy

I used to have it before i reformatted

comment about almcneil removed

Regarding your Firmware

What is the make and model number of your Router again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back