How can I know are there any files missed for winXP system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always got some unexpected error from winXP
its tell me I missed some of the winXP system files
(sorry that i havent mark down what file missed)

I tried /sfc already
everytime got the same missed notice from windows
it ask me to insert the original winXP cd and press "retry"
after retry, seems everythings OK

but when I use /sfc again at the later time
windows still ask me for the winxp disc

Can anyone pls tell me how can I scan or search
are there any system files I missed for winXP?

thx in advance ^_^

what is this /sfc you talk about and if you bought the windows xp cd all the system files should be contained within the system32 folder on the XP cd. If you have got the disc from a good manufacturer then it should also be the same. If not you only have a recovery cd and not a full install which is very very bad because it may not contain everything you need.

So if it ask you for a file write down the name of the file and location, then get your xp cd and take that file and drag and drop it to that location on your computer that the computer was looking for in the first place.

ex.

Error:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe could not be found.

Then you goto d:\winxpsetup\windows\system32\cmd.exe----->then drag it to C:\WINDOWS\system32

and if you want to try and search it open up two search windows and type in d or whatever your cd/dvd drive is and scan the system32 folder on your harddrive and cd.

If something is missing on your harddrive that is on the cd then put it on your harddrive in the correct folders.

I did this for a repair install for win98/2000 because the setup supposibly finished but it keep saying insert this and insert that so I decided to just copy all the files to the harddrive and I got it to work.

BillGates said:
what is this /sfc you talk about

/sfc is a command used at "RUN"
which make windows auto search is there any missing system protected files in your system
(I get this command from windows official support site)

BillGates said:
ex.

Error:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe could not be found.

Then you goto d:\winxpsetup\windows\system32\cmd.exe----->then drag it to C:\WINDOWS\system32

thx a lot, i got it, thank you very much for your advice ^^~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back