TechSpot

How can I lower my fan speed on a HP Compaq Presario laptop?

By opalwing
May 24, 2010
  1. My fan has become extremely loud recently, even though my CPU temperature is staying at about 62 degrees. Is there anyway I can use the bios to alter my fan speed down a few RPM's? Speedfan doesnt seem to pick up anything coming from my laptop.

2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix TS Rookie Posts: 36

Try checking the settings for SmartFan first. Post here what it's set to, if enabled.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

The compaqs are loud, but safe, and you will likely make yours less safe if you reduce the fan speed... should that be possible... which I doubt.
    You can reduce the speed of a desktop Compaq fairly easily, but the laptops are not designed to tolerate it.
    Your temperature is about right as it is... you don't want to run that computer at a higher speed... the cooling channels will not tolerate it easily.

4. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 892   +15

seriously, i wish my fan could be set at 100% all the time. it would be noisy, but as raybay said it's safe. most laptops have a auto fan feature. after about 50*C the fan will run at low speed, and after something like 60 / 70*C fan will be throttled to max speed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.