How do I completely stop windows media player 12 from running in the background ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

How do I completely stop windows media player 12 from running in the background ever? I turned off the file sharing through run services, but it still runs in the background from time to time, I have to right click the process and end process tree and the wmp slideshow tree to get it to stop. When this happens it make my computer go from 38 celcius idle to 52! I have to use wmp for one of my online classes or I would just completely disable it.

Windows 7 64bit
rest of the stats are in my specs

I am guessing it is because, it is trying to update additional information about whatever media content you have (probably your pc is permanently connected to internet?)

Try disabling the “Retrieve additional information from the internet” option. Open Windows Media Player, right click on the navigation arrows at the top, select Tools, Options, go to the Library tab and uncheck the “Retrieve additional information from the internet” option.

Why do you have to use Windows Media Player? I'm sure VLC can do everything that WMP can do.

I have to use a program called labsims, and it will not work with vlc or mpc. They only list it working with wmp so mm im stuck with that atm.

I am guessing it is because, it is trying to update additional information about whatever media content you have (probably your pc is permanently connected to internet?)

Try disabling the “Retrieve additional information from the internet” option. Open Windows Media Player, right click on the navigation arrows at the top, select Tools, Options, go to the Library tab and uncheck the “Retrieve additional information from the internet” option.

I already have it set up that way, I found out that it only turns back on when I restart my computer or switch users. I have to go to the task manager and end the wmp slide show process tree to make it stop. Anymore ideas?

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

p4436801.gif

Attach the file to your next reply.

Here it is. I do not know if it matters but it was not running while I made this text log.

Attachments

• AutoRuns.txt
    140.3 KB · Views: 3
1- Go to control Panel
2- Choose Administrative Tools
3- Choose services
4- Find Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
5- Make start up type manual
6- Simply restart

1- Go to control Panel
2- Choose Administrative Tools
3- Choose services
4- Find Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
5- Make start up type manual
6- Simply restart

I already had that set at disabled, I changed it to manual and restarted, it still starts up on its own in the background.

After changing it to manual wmpnetwk.exe kept popping up causing my core to raise to 50, now that I turned it back to disabled that no longer pops up.

I have used Dependency Walker(x86 & x64) to find out program dependencies in the past, I was wondering perhaps this time around you can use it in reverse, i.e. by going through the dependencies try to figure out which services/files may be starting up while booting.

snapshot.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back