How do I connect six monitors to this desktop ?

georgetok

Hi,

Just bought a new Dell XPS 8300 Desktop PC from with following specs.

The purpose of this PC is to watch 6 stock charts at a time on 6, (24 inch, 1080p) Monitors.
I don’t play games but watch Video sometimes.

I would like to connect as many monitors as possible but at least 6 if possible

Can you guys tell me how to do that & what other hardware changes like video cards, cables ( Type, Brand ) etc. do I need to make ?

Dell XPS 8300

i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)

Chipset Intel® H67

8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT530 1GB GDDR3 (VGA/HDMI/DVI) Video Card.

Windows - 7 Ultimate ( 64 bit )

Thank you all.

Something like this is what you'll need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129184

From there you'd need the cables depending on what type of interface you're monitors support. This particular card comes with 4 mini display to display-port and 2 mini-display to DVI. So check monitor's connection options and buy cables accordingly. I can't seem to find a decent current specs sheet on you're PC, so I'm not sure if you're current PSU will be able to power this card.

Yeah you are going to need a AMD card that has Eyenfinity. You will also need monitors that have display ports.

Something like this is what you'll need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129184

From there you'd need the cables depending on what type of interface you're monitors support. This particular card comes with 4 mini display to display-port and 2 mini-display to DVI. So check monitor's connection options and buy cables accordingly. I can't seem to find a decent current specs sheet on you're PC, so I'm not sure if you're current PSU will be able to power this card.

Haven't bot 5 extra monitors yet but where I am located, only DVI & VGA monitors are available. ( 24 Inch with 1920X1080 )

My power suply is only 460 Watts.

Can you please give your opinion about this Video card that looks similar to one you suggested.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...-5870-eyefinity-6-edition/Pages/overview.aspx

Thanks

The card you linked is the previous generation model of the card I linked. I would go with the current 6870 mainly because it's the latest from AMD and will perform better.

As for you're monitors that is fine the card I linked comes with 2 mini-display to DVI adapters. So all you would need to do is buy 4 more of those cables. You need to upgrade that PSU though this card requires at the least a 500w PSU with 2 6-pin connectors.

The 6870 Eyefinity will not outperform the 5870 Eyefinity for most things (unless there is heavy tessellation.) Don't forget that the numbering scheme was changed at the 6xxx series. I have one of the 5870 Eyefinity 6 models and it's every bit as fast as a regular 5870. I've only driven 4 monitors at once with it, but it can clearly drive 2 more without issue.

Yeah true I forgot that they changed the numbering scheme. Either way the 5870 is discontinued on most sites, and probably more expensive to get now. Also he isn't planning on gaming on it so the 6870 should do just fine for what he's going to use it for.

Back